Random Pieces - photoshop

3d Design and graphics

Random Pieces - photoshop

Postby MrGodlyy on 02/23/2012, 6:13 am

Hello, I am wondering how to slice one image into multiple pieces but not like the 'slice' tool because that tool only gives rectangles and squares, I need random pieces so like triangles, etc.

I need to save all the pieces seperatly but once you put them all together they should show the complete image. The main point of doing this is, importing all those pieces in adobe flash and making a puzzle with those pieces.

kind regards,
Ignace
MrGodlyy

Twitter: ignacealeya

Re: Random Pieces - photoshop

Postby jsn951 on 02/23/2012, 5:47 pm

Why not use the lasso tool, that should be random enough, layer masks is another option.
Challenge yourself, be Creative!
http://joosefxdigital.blogspot.com/
jsn951

Postby MrGodlyy on 02/24/2012, 2:21 am

because the other pieces don't follow on the shape I just made, if you understand what I mean.. I need something that can be put together again and if I use lasso all the shapes will be seperate from eachother
MrGodlyy

Postby Sasha dal Ponte on 02/24/2012, 3:20 am

MrGodlyy wrote:because the other pieces don't follow on the shape I just made, if you understand what I mean.. I need something that can be put together again and if I use lasso all the shapes will be seperate from eachother

I don't get it... :=~
Sasha dal Ponte
motion graphics designer

.: MY VIMEO PORTFOLIO :.

sasa.dalponte@gmail.com
Sasha dal Ponte

Twitter: sasadalponte

Postby MrGodlyy on 02/24/2012, 3:42 am

look, if you use the laso you will have one piece, once you want to select your other piece it won't fit the first piece perfect, like the sides of each shape won't tough the other shape perfectly, it's ment to be used in a puzzle so all the pieces should be put together to get 1 complete piece. If you use the lasso tool you can't make all the pieces follow on eachother, I don't know if I can explain it any clearer I know that it's kinda hard to understand but try :p
MrGodlyy

Postby Sasha dal Ponte on 02/24/2012, 12:12 pm

MrGodlyy wrote:look, if you use the laso you will have one piece, once you want to select your other piece it won't fit the first piece perfect, like the sides of each shape won't tough the other shape perfectly, it's ment to be used in a puzzle so all the pieces should be put together to get 1 complete piece. If you use the lasso tool you can't make all the pieces follow on eachother, I don't know if I can explain it any clearer I know that it's kinda hard to understand but try :p

It's not hard to understand. Thing is that it's completely doable with lasso tool.
Sasha dal Ponte
motion graphics designer

sasa.dalponte@gmail.com
Sasha dal Ponte

Postby jsn951 on 02/24/2012, 2:59 pm

I understand what you are trying to do, it was a suggestion and an easy one. What doesn't make sense is that you mention the shapes don't fit together anymore, how? If they are cut from the same image they should easily fit together. :=~
Challenge yourself, be Creative!
http://joosefxdigital.blogspot.com/
jsn951

Postby Sasha dal Ponte on 02/25/2012, 2:21 am

When you use lasso tool and select a piece of your image with it, don't use copy-paste. Use CUT-paste.

In that way there will be a hole in what's left of your image and every time you select a piece and cut it out, it will fit the rest of the pieces.
Sasha dal Ponte
motion graphics designer

sasa.dalponte@gmail.com
Sasha dal Ponte

Postby MrGodlyy on 02/25/2012, 2:49 am

Never mind, don't think you guys get it.. But I'm gonna do it on another way with the lasso, yes :p
MrGodlyy

Postby tony on 02/25/2012, 2:58 am

No, i get it... and yes you can do it with the lasso. Think about it. If you cut a triangle out of a image and cut it to a top layer the shape of the triangle will be in the original image. So then you cut the shape of say a start and the parts of the star touching the triangle will get cut of since the hole left there by the triangle will automatically dictate the following shapes path.

You can use alpha mattes, luma mattes, lasso, pen tool many ways to skin this cat.
I make pixels twerk.
http://www.AntonioRodriguez.co
tony

Postby MrGodlyy on 02/25/2012, 3:01 am

I'll try that then :) thanks
MrGodlyy

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator