Photoshop - A (simple) Beginner's Dilemma

3d Design and graphics

Photoshop - A (simple) Beginner's Dilemma

Postby harlakin on 02/10/2012, 12:57 am

Hello folks,

My overall general dilemma is this:

I find myself having many issues with most of the Adobe software. This is certainly not indicative of Adobe. In fact, I am very impressed with Adobe products. It is nothing more than operator ignorance . I'm new to design and have a looong way to go.

I've been going through several tutorials a week utilizing different sites. I'm rotating through Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects. I'm not certain if this is the most effective way to learn. Certain tuts aren't specific enough for beginner's like me, and I find myself spending several hours searching for an answers that are relatively simple, and usually only a menu item away.

I guess overall, I'm looking for some learning advice. I'm curious about techniques that have worked for others.

Outstanding. Thanks.

More specifically, I'm having troubles with "parenting" in photoshop. Not even sure what it is really called. I'm working on this tutorial

http://www.tutorial9.net/tutorials/photoshop-tutorials/design-a-surreal-desert-scene-in-photoshop/#1

I'm having difficulty with step #16

In the tutorial, the layer panel looks like Screen Shot 1.

My layer panel looks like Screen Shot 2.

What's a guy to do?

Thanks everybody.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2 .png
Screen Shot 2 .png (34.37 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
Screen Shot 1.png
harlakin

Re: Photoshop - A (simple) Beginner's Dilemma

Postby igotcarded on 02/10/2012, 3:20 am

You want to know about Clipping. In screen shot one, the guy's clipped the levels, channel mixer, color balance, and curves adjustment layers into the "Hand" layer and organized them all into one folder. You have them in the same folder, but not clipped, so all the adjustment layers will affect all the layers below them instead of just the hand layer.

You can clip a layer into the layer below it by Alt clicking between the two layers in the layers palette.
igotcarded

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 02/10/2012, 11:12 am

I would suggest you take the time to learn the software one at a time. When you're learning professional-level software like this, just learning one of them can be a challenge. I can't imagine being new to it all and trying to do more than one.

I would definitely recommend staying away from YouTube tutorials. Many people on YouTube don't actually know the software very well and aren't good at creating learning. Go through something like Lynda.com, Total Training, or DigitalTutors.com They have very good training that starts you from the foundational basics and builds on it.

Also, I would suggest you learn Photoshop before tackling After Effects. Many of the principles are the same, but After Effects is more complicated. Crawl, walk, run. :)
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby harlakin on 02/11/2012, 5:04 am

Thank you both very much. Your replies are very much appreciated.
harlakin

Postby Wimp on 02/15/2012, 10:21 am

To clip layes on to a layer under it, right click and select "create clipping mask" or ctrl+alt+g(command+alt+g on mac?) or click the icon with a black ball ontop of a white ball in the adjustments panel or go to "layers->create clipping mask". Four ways to get there :)
Wimp

Twitter: qmiW

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator