Re: Photoshop Beer Poster

Postby jsn951 on 01/26/2012, 2:59 pm

sure.... :=~
Challenge yourself, be Creative!
http://joosefxdigital.blogspot.com/
jsn951

Postby nico89-fx on 01/28/2012, 5:53 pm

You mean this is your first try at photoshop? If so, it's not bad. However, I find several issues with it, especially if I look at the jpeg you provide in your YT video.

Well, I'll break it down.
1- The bottle cutout is poor at best, especially on the bottom, where you can see really jagged edges. Never EVER use the magic wand. It's fast, yeah, but it produces poor results even in the simples of scenarios. The pen tool is the way to go, and even then, you have to refine your edges using feathering and expanding-substracting from your selection and such.
2- What's with the water? For one, I can see at plain sight you just used two copies on the side of the bottles neck, as there's clear vertical tiling there, plus the water stream gets cut straight as if cut with a knife. No go!
3- Shadows: How come a green refractive surface with a refractive liquid produces a black shadow (really black) and nothing else even when you have a powerful cenital (I don't know if that's the right word in english, sorry) light that hits the bottle.
And there's also no shadow in the bottle's bottom, neither are there any caustics whatsoever.
4-If the bottle is overly saturated on green on purpose, your scene should have green highlights, but not be entirely green. It's simply boring.
5-The wooden floor doesn't match the overall feel of the scene, plus it is clearly low res, as is the water texture.
6-If you have so much contrast in the middle, why is the rest of the scene so dull? I mean, if that were a photo, would it look like that? I certainly doubt it.
7-I don't understand the message. What do I need? Heineken? What does Heineken stand for? What does Heineken represent as a beer brand, what is its target? I mean, If you meant 'You need Heineken' You are barking at the wrong tree. You need a simbollycal value that heineken stands for. Otherwise, it's the same as saying 'You need beer', and what would stop a potential customer from buying Stell Artois instead?
I understand this is only a hypothetical ad, but it matters all the same.
8-That font doesn't either go with the picture nor does it 'say' anything.
9-The whole composite is off to the right, it's 'falling'. It's both not centered on the canvas and it has all that water on the right pulling it that way. And so is the text as it's not centered either.
That's all I can think of right now.
Hope you don't take it the wrong way, I'm just trying to help =)
nico89-fx

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 01/30/2012, 9:44 am

nico89-fx wrote:Shadows: How come a green refractive surface with a refractive liquid produces a black shadow (really black) and nothing else even when you have a powerful cenital (I don't know if that's the right word in english, sorry) light that hits the bottle.

I can't see his link due to restrictions on the network where I work, but I'm guessing you mean either a key light or a back light. And key light would be my first guess. :)
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby nico89-fx on 01/30/2012, 11:14 am

@Mike: It is the key light indeed, but since it's coming from the top isn't that a cenital light as well? (I feel like I got the name wrong anyways, hell I even got mixed results on google when i searched for it)
nico89-fx

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 01/30/2012, 12:00 pm

I'd have to see the image to be sure. I've never heard of a cenital light. I believe that's translated as "zenith" or "top" so key light may not be right.

How about god light?
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby nico89-fx on 01/30/2012, 3:36 pm

Michael_Szalapski wrote:How about god light?

Yeah, it's that kind of light. Minus the clearly defined rays and dust inherent to deities, and 'ancient titles' ripoffs.. God-ish Light? Why are we even giving it a name? (=
nico89-fx

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator