How to correct the edges to get a good blending?

3d Design and graphics

How to correct the edges to get a good blending?

Postby eclipse_SL on 12/21/2011, 1:24 am

Hi! I would like to know how I can correct the edges from a "paste object" to get a perfect integration into another photo. I use to blurring the edge with the "Blur tool" but sometimes I don´t get a good result with this method (perhaps I have to blur more or less).

I would like to know another thecniques to do this.

Thanks in advance!
eclipse_SL

Re: How to correct the edges to get a good blending?

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 12/21/2011, 8:17 am

Depends on how you're pasting your object.

When I am putting items together, I tend to cut an item out of its picture using a layer mask. That way I can soften the edges of the layer mask with a soft brush as needed when I'm compositing it into another image.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby eclipse_SL on 12/22/2011, 4:29 am

Michael_Szalapski wrote:Depends on how you're pasting your object.

When I am putting items together, I tend to cut an item out of its picture using a layer mask. That way I can soften the edges of the layer mask with a soft brush as needed when I'm compositing it into another image.

Thanks for your answer... I do this actually, I thought that perhaps would be another way to do that better (or more quickly with similar result).
eclipse_SL

Postby Rob Neal on 12/22/2011, 8:49 am

There is a little trick I use when the edges are still rather 'jaggy', - select the outline of the object, and then use the 'border' select function to create just a thin strip inside and outside the selected area. It takes a bit of trial and error to define how big your border needs to be, dependant on your resolution, and you may wish to feather it a bit too. Once you have this, you can simply apply Gaussian blur to just that edge to knock it back a bit and look like depth of field. Use the Ctrl-H command to hide the 'marching ants' outline whilst you fiddle with it - just remember to re-enable it afterwards as its easy to forget and you wonder why nothing is working any more!
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Postby eclipse_SL on 12/22/2011, 9:21 am

Rob Neal wrote:There is a little trick I use when the edges are still rather 'jaggy', - select the outline of the object, and then use the 'border' select function to create just a thin strip inside and outside the selected area. It takes a bit of trial and error to define how big your border needs to be, dependant on your resolution, and you may wish to feather it a bit too. Once you have this, you can simply apply Gaussian blur to just that edge to knock it back a bit and look like depth of field. Use the Ctrl-H command to hide the 'marching ants' outline whilst you fiddle with it - just remember to re-enable it afterwards as its easy to forget and you wonder why nothing is working any more!

thanks! is a great way to get the border blending better. I have proved it and I have liked the result. I have to practice more this, but I think that this is the way that I am looking for. :D

Thanks again!
eclipse_SL

Postby Chris95 on 04/12/2012, 7:48 am

You can also try it with this technique make it with masks and edit it. ;)
Watch my tutorials on http://www.youtube.com/user/RChrisis or on my homepage! ;)

Best regards Christoph
Chris95

Postby Adomian on 04/21/2012, 3:50 pm

Do not blur the edges. If the edges are actually jagged, you can command+click on the thumbnail of the layer, go to refine selection and turn up smoothing. This will keep the edges nice and sharp but reduce the jaggedness. If you want you can also blur the edges a bit if the focus is not sharp anyway. Don't expect this to make it look too good though. Once you've done this, just add a mask and your selection will be used automatically. Now the real reason you'd perceive bad blending is usually one of three things: different resolution/focus in the two images, different shading (look at the black parts of both images, if one is dark gray and the other is jet black, you have to adjust them), and differences in color which you can usually take care of with a warming/cooling filter. The other thing you might notice is lighting. Look and see if the lighting is from the same direction in the foreground and the background. I they're opposite, you can flip one of the images, but you can't always do this. It's sometimes unfixable, but the other things I said should help. Good luck.
Adomian

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator