Can I change default angle of the Pen tool?

3d Design and graphics

Can I change default angle of the Pen tool?

Postby varxtis on 03/23/2015, 4:49 pm

In Photoshop, the only way I know how get a consistent angle is to hold down shift while Im deciding the next point location for the my path. But unfortunately the default angle I get while holding down shift is not the angle I need.
Im working on a project that has a lot of "Tech" designs to them (Think Tron and Halo 4), so I need a LOT of consistent angles. Is there a way to change the default angle for the path tool, or is there maybe another trick to this.
Aslo, is Tech or Techy designs accurate in describing the style? Or is there another word for this style? Because I cant find much in the way of tutorials when using either of the Terms.
Please help.
varxtis

Re: Can I change default angle of the Pen tool?

Postby deadboltz on 04/25/2015, 8:31 am

Don't know if I can help but how about turning on the grid and using that as a reference? Then at least you can be quite accurate without holding shift.
deadboltz

Postby varxtis on 04/26/2015, 5:16 pm

deadboltz wrote:Don't know if I can help but how about turning on the grid and using that as a reference? Then at least you can be quite accurate without holding shift.

So, the idea is sound, brilliant, and awesome! I appreciate it very very much. Initially I was going to reply that the grids are to wide, etc. but I looked into it and completely forgot that I can change the Grid Lines and subdivisions. I'm still running into a bit of a problem though. I set "Snap to.." Grid, but the Pen anchor points wont snap to subdivisions, just the Grid lines. If anything they still snap to the default angles. I'd prefer to keep the Line/Subdivision ratios as a point of reference for pattern sake. Do you know what I might be doing wrong?
varxtis

Postby varxtis on 06/23/2015, 2:39 am

Bump
varxtis

Postby star+circle on 06/23/2015, 7:49 am

Do you have Illustrator? You can change the constrain angle there. It is always in 45 degree increments, but the base angle can be anything. You have plenty more options in Illustrator in any case.

One interesting option is to scale the reference drawing temporarily so that the angles ARE 45 degrees and then scale it back down when finished drawing. Say, if you have 0, 30, 60 and 90 degree angles, you can stretch the image so you have 45 degree angles instead.
Attachments
angles.jpg
30 to 45 to 30 degrees
star+circle

Postby varxtis on 07/14/2015, 5:29 pm

I haven't worked with Illustrator very much at all. I just can't seem to understand it. "Whats to understand??" IDK. It just seems to be very very different from Photoshop. Ironically I have the same issue with Adobe Premiere. Fine with After Effects, but don't understand premiere. In any case, I don't understand why Photoshop wouldn't have adjustable angle snap-to options.
I actually had to create shape and path references to act as guides. And zoomed in close enough, works fine... But its a lot of moving around and zooming. Its not that big of a deal, and it definitely gets the job done. I appreciate the suggestions. Im not lazy or anything. I'm just trying to discover a more efficient way of doing something within the program I'm comfortable.
varxtis

Postby Diffeacten on 08/28/2016, 2:29 am

varxtis wrote:I haven't worked with Illustrator very much at all. I just can't seem to understand it. "Whats to understand??" IDK. It just seems to be very very different from Photoshop. Ironically I have the same issue with Adobe Premiere. Fine with After Effects, but don't understand premiere. In any case, I don't understand why Photoshop wouldn't have adjustable angle snap-to options.
I actually had to create shape and path references to act as guides. And zoomed in close enough, works fine... But its a lot of moving around and zooming. Its not that big of a deal, and it definitely gets the job done. I appreciate the suggestions. Im not lazy or anything. I'm just trying to discover a more efficient way of doing something within the program I'm comfortable.

we find the same issues on Illustrator and Adobe Premier. maybe the also reason that we have in mind is, Photoshop is more ideal to use because it is more basic but even if it is more basic than other stuffs, there are still methods that we don't understand and it's causing us a hard time finding the result.
Diffeacten

System Specs: Processor - dual core @ 2.4 GHz (i5 or i7 Intel processor or equivalent AMD)
RAM - 4 GB
Hard Drive - 320 GB 5400 RPM hard drive
Wireless (for laptops) - 802.11g/n (WPA2 support required)
Monitor - 19" LCD - desktop only
Operating System - Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 or Apple OS X 10.9
Backup Device - External hard drive, USB Flash Drive, and/or DVD+/-RW drive

Postby Deord1974 on 08/29/2016, 10:35 am

we find the same issues on Illustrator and Adobe Premier. maybe the also reason that we have in mind is, Photoshop is more ideal to use because it is more basic but even if it is more basic than other stuffs, there are still phen375 http://ohdivinehealth.com/phen375-reviews/ methods that we don't understand and it's causing us a hard time finding the result.

If i were to choose i think it's better to use photoshop for basic editing and stuff. It works the same in a way but it really depends for his/her purpose really.
Deord1974

System Specs: Windows 10

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator