How to I type in another language?

3d Design and graphics

How to I type in another language?

Postby varxtis on 12/9/2013, 1:23 pm

So this is more of a confirmation question than anything. Im working on a videocard for someones anniversary. I need to have the Chinese-Mandarin characters for "Happy Anniversary" appear on the face of the "card". Being that My computer is English based Im finding it hard to think of a way to type the characters, let alone find a type-face/font that would work right. Would I be right to assume that the only real way I would be able to do this is to find out what characters make up "Happy Anniversary" in chinese-mandarin, create vector shapes in photoshop or illustrator, and then import them to the after effects project?
varxtis

Re: How to I type in another language?

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 12/9/2013, 1:56 pm

varxtis wrote:find out what characters make up "Happy Anniversary" in chinese-mandarin, create vector shapes in photoshop or illustrator, and then import them to the after effects project?

That's one good way.

Another way would be to use Google Translate, then copy and paste those characters into Photoshop, Illustrator, or AE. It may work.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby varxtis on 12/9/2013, 8:18 pm

OH WOW, It worked!! Thanks a lot man. Now I just have to confirm the Translation. Thank you so much though. I appreciate it.
varxtis

Postby varxtis on 12/19/2013, 1:28 pm

So I never did follow up with this thread, but it turned out the Translation wasn't right. Apparently its a specific dialect. But I was emailed the characters in their appropriate translation and just created paths for it. Took a while, so I tried to finish up another aspect of the project and coe back to this, at a later time... now I guess. anyway, I decided to try to do a straight copy and paste of the characters which worked out pretty decently:
44年结婚纪念快乐!
However, most of the characters are either originally in a typeface called Heisei Kaku Gothic Std, or can be adjusted to said font, and can be pasted into After Effects. But 3 of the characters are in a font called Mingliu, cannot be pasted/viewed in After Effetcs, and can only be changed to another ttf typeface, none of which seem to be accepted by After Effects. Any suggestions?
varxtis

Postby bijutoha on 10/2/2014, 2:51 am

Unfortunately When I place an Arabic word from Google Translate to the PS then It is going to show individual letters.
bijutoha

Postby Farmfield on 10/2/2014, 4:28 am

bijutoha wrote:Unfortunately When I place an Arabic word from Google Translate to the PS then It is going to show individual letters.

Yeah, as arabic is written right to left and is also formatted (especially in kerning) differently than latin, so this is an issue with formatting caused by the localization settings in the OS. Seems the formatting is handled internally by the browser character interpreter when you view or handle non latin text in webpages but when you copy paste them into a document, you're pasting one formatting into another and it just breaks - similar to when you sometimes paste text from the web into a text document or email and it just formats it way off...

Solution? Use Inkscape. As Inkscape handles all localization and text formatting internally, it will keep the correct formatting and kerning for non latin formatting, so you can just copy from Google Translate and paste the text into Inkscape. And as Inkscape is a FOSS project it's free to download and use in any OS... http://www.inkscape.org/en/ :)
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator