How can I create a new custom font/type-face?

3d Design and graphics

How can I create a new custom font/type-face?

Postby varxtis on 11/9/2013, 11:19 am

I really apologize if this is in the wrong category, but my project originates in Photoshop and may need to be imported to illustrator before it goes further. Im working on creating a custom font (type-face?) to use in After Effects and other general typing purposes. The font would have a total of 13 characters or Glyphs "Varxtis Videos" All of it will be Cap style, with the Height being the only difference (The "V"s will be taller/larger than the rest of the letters). I have created a complete Path project for it in Photoshop, but now need to know how to turn it into a Font. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good Font creating software that will allow me to import Paths? I want these to be as large and High-res as possible, but know nothing about creating custom fonts. Do I need to import the paths into Illustrator, and if so, is there a specific process of doing this, IE, save each letter individually as an .ai > open in illustrator > save as .esp > etc. Ive seen quite a few different processes in researching this, but want to ask the pros here ^_^ You guys are all pro status to me. Anyway, So, I need to understand the process and a good font creation program. Doesn't have to be free necessarily... I can spend 30 or so bucks.
Any suggestions? I really do appreciate all of your help.
varxtis

Re: How can I create a new custom font/type-face?

Postby kyletmartinez on 11/11/2013, 12:28 pm

I know nothing about font creation either but a quick Google search lead me to this site:
http://mashable.com/2011/11/17/free-font-creation-tools/

If you are just trying to create a logo, why do you need a font created? If you build your text in Illustrator it will be vector based and infinitely scaleable. Plus you can easily import it into After Effects and use the "Continuously Rasterize" button.
kyletmartinez

Twitter: kyletmartinez

Postby varxtis on 11/15/2013, 2:45 pm

Ironically the search ended up being much simpler than I was making it (I always seem to make things harder than they need to be :\)
But for anyone else thats interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-7e4nRNus
BUT, the program demonstrated is really pricy $600+... So unless one has the connections or the wallet for it, probably not a viable solution. Im also looking into Fontforge since it's free, but I don't think it allows paths to be copied over like Fontlab does. Still figuring out how to do the crossover.
varxtis

Postby bijutoha on 05/16/2014, 2:36 am

One of my best friend suggested me on same query that If you have a Windows computer, use FontLab Studio and if you have an Apple computer use Glyphsapp.

Best of Luck.
bijutoha

Postby lassebauer on 06/5/2014, 3:02 pm

I love goooooold. The look of it, the daste of it, the schmell of it, the dexture.
I love gold so much that I even lost my genitalia in an unfortunate schmelting accident. Hence the name....
lassebauer

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator