Text "decoding" random animation

Scripting for After Effects

Text "decoding" random animation

Postby Earlack on 03/20/2009, 12:35 pm

Hi all,

I'm needing a small expression that will be used to make cool credits for a short film.
The idea : Random characters are generated quickly, and, character by character, they make the word.
(Mmmm, that's not really clear)

To be more precise : someting like the first few titles we see in Die Hard 4 ; looks like the names are "decoding" (see ? :mrgreen: )

I've come up with some little things (in fact that's the first time i'm writing my own expression).

First I did this :
Code: Select all
alphabet="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz²1~#|èàç@ù*%µ^$£¤!§/\?<>1234567890-+";
alphabet[Math.floor(random(alphabet.length))]

Well, to be honest, I found it on this board :mrgreen: But that was too quick, and I just had one character. Would be a pain to have one layer per character.

I found this to be better :
alphabet="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz²1~#|èàç@ù*%µ^$£¤!§/\?<>1234567890-+";
posterizeTime(10);
alphabet[Math.floor(random(alphabet.length))]+alphabet[Math.floor(random(alphabet.length))]+alphabet[Math.floor(random(alphabet.length))]

Like this, it would produce 3 successive random characters (for example), and the layer is now 10 fps (thanks to posterizeTime(10) ) ; it's just a little slower, looks better. That doesn't look very clean, but that works, eh. i just have to add a line of code to have another character.

BUT it's constantly generating random things. The goal is still to come up with a name ; I could just mask every character when needed and reveal a text layer with the name, but, that just doesn't look cool enough. I'm sure we can do it all in one expression.
I searched trough the expressions reference in AE and came up with this :

posterizeTime(10);
timeToStop = 4;
  if (time > timeToStop){
      value;
  }else{
alphabet[Math.floor(random(alphabet.length))];
}

In this example, it stops producing random characters at 4 seconds and attributes the "value", which is nothing.
You would say I just need to write : value=A and that would write a A. No. "Value" seems to work only with numbers. If I type a number, that works.
So two questions :

1/How could I assign a letter to this value ? Or maybe I need to change the whole thing...

2/With this last bit of code, I can't find a way to make more than one character anymore ; if you can, I would probably pay you a beer (maybe).

I'll try to find my answers, but I thought some people would be smarter than me (yeah, i know, that's easy :? )...

Thanks everyone !
Earlack

Re: Text "decoding" random animation

Postby mjt57 on 03/20/2009, 12:49 pm

Type in "decoder" in the effects and presets search. See if that effect is like what you want.
mjt57

Postby Earlack on 03/20/2009, 1:54 pm

I did'nt even searched the presets... That's very similar. The only difference is that it makes characters appear one by one ; what I'm looking for is like, having let's say 7 characters randomly changing, and, letter by letter, form the name... but not appearing after each other... Do you see what I mean ?
Holy carp, i'll try to find an example on the web.
Earlack

Postby mjt57 on 03/20/2009, 2:23 pm

Is this what you want? It is the encryption text preset in AE.
Attachments
itwyw.aep
(52.85 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
mjt57

Postby Earlack on 03/20/2009, 2:29 pm

Yeah, it's much better ^^ many thanks. I should search a little bit longer, I think. Or maybe I was really excited about getting into expressions :roll:

Looks like with a little bit of tweaking, it will exactly fit my needs.

Many thanks to you !
Earlack

Postby mjt57 on 03/20/2009, 2:30 pm

You are very welcome! Good luck.
mjt57

Postby anacristinahr on 06/28/2016, 12:43 pm

Well, thanks Earlack and Mjt57 from 2009, this is exaclaty the effect I was looking for. :D
anacristinahr

System Specs: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

Return to After Effects Expressions