Synchronized wiggle expressions with known values

Scripting for After Effects

Synchronized wiggle expressions with known values

Postby NorthlogicVFX on 08/22/2016, 8:12 am

Hey everybody

I have a deadline coming and I have a problem I would need help with, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an wiggle expression with same values in two layers, but the layers move in different times. How it would be possible to synchronize the two layers to move at the same time? Also, is it possible to make the layers to move in a coordinated manner, for example to take values from 5 - 10 - 20 - 10 -5, so a more linear appoach. And the last thing, is it possible to have wiggle transform the layer to reversed direction? Currently these two layers transform in a similar manner, and the other should be an opposite in it's direction. Thank you for any help!

Best regards
Juuso
NorthlogicVFX

Re: Synchronized wiggle expressions with known values

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 08/22/2016, 9:40 am

You would need to seed the random number the wiggle expression is using if you wanted two wiggles to move the same way.

That being said, it sounds more like you need to set up a reverse linear expression.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Re: Synchronized wiggle expressions with known values

Postby Mylenium on 08/23/2016, 4:24 am

NorthlogicVFX wrote:I have an wiggle expression with same values in two layers, but the layers move in different times. How it would be possible to synchronize the two layers to move at the same time?

Your whole approach is simply completely wrong. Simply apply the wiggle to a slider and feed the slider's output values to as many effects as you like. You can then easily treat it further using linear() and otehr expressions to limit ranges or invert the values.

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
----------------------------------------
www.myleniumblog.com
Mylenium

System Specs: Have, I do!

Return to After Effects Expressions