Light Saber with just the handle

Scripting for After Effects

Light Saber with just the handle

Postby adinnin on 03/19/2016, 3:08 pm

Hi there,

My kids decided to have an improtu light saber battle in the woods today.. I filmed this and just for fun.. thought it would be good to add the light saber effect using Video Copilots new Saber plugin.

The problem is.. they only used the handle of the light saber.. so I have manually tracked a null to where the saber should start.. if I track another null to the base of the saber.. can anyone think of a clever expression that can revers it the other way.. so it would match the rotation ?? I can't parent it.. because when I add the position expression.. it just flies of the screen..

thanks in Advance

Alex
adinnin

Re: Light Saber with just the handle

Postby Zogeta on 03/20/2016, 10:07 pm

Hmm. If you figure this out I'd be really interested to know too. But since you're already manually tracking nulls, have you tried using the motion tracker with the rotation switch on and moving both track points by hand to track the handle ends?
Zogeta

Re: Light Saber with just the handle

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 03/21/2016, 11:44 am

Tell the null at the top (where the blade will be coming out) to point at the null at the bottom of the handle. Then simply parent the third blade tip null to the first one move its position to the right length. Thus, you will have three nulls that all follow (roughly) the position of the sword. The problem is that this will really only work when the saber is being swung on a pretty exact, flat-to-the-camera plane. But at least it'd give you a start.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Return to After Effects Expressions