How can I lock a keyframe to a layer marker position?

Scripting for After Effects

How can I lock a keyframe to a layer marker position?

Postby kentarou2013 on 10/3/2015, 3:06 am

hey everyone!

I've seen this done with plugins like Animation composer but everything is super complex with their setup so I cannot figure out how they did it. >-||

Desired outcome:
Have a text based animation that fades / scales / moves into frame, idles and then plays its out animation at another layer marker position. This would allow me to repurpose the animation across several projects easily as I would be able to retime it quickly by just shifting 3 layer markers for in, idle and out.

Question:
How can I achieve this? (I'm relatively new to expressions so please simplify things if possible)

Thanks in advance!
kentarou2013

System Specs: Asus ROG G75VW

Re: How can I lock a keyframe to a layer marker position?

Postby star+circle on 10/19/2015, 3:13 am

Here's a Creative Cow thread on this matter:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/227/10716
star+circle

Postby kentarou2013 on 10/19/2015, 3:58 am

star+circle wrote:Here's a Creative Cow thread on this matter:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/227/10716

Hey Star Circle! Thanks for the reply. I have looked over this write up and it is close to what I need but not working for my purposes and because Im so new to expressions Im not sure how to modify it to work correctly.

Basically my setup is as follows (potentially). 30 frames total on the layer, 1 text item that has values on position, scale, and opacity. at frame 0 lets say the scale position and opacity are all 0 so it is centered on the screen and invisible. Now on frame 10 lets scale it back up to 1, position it upward by lets say +3 and set the opacity back to 1 so its visible. These 6 combined keyframes would make up my "IN" transition with the layer marker being set to frame 10 and named IN in the comments field.

Now I want the text to remain idle for 10 frames. so I move forward to frame 20 and set keyframes on scale, position, and opacity. Here is set the another layer marker and call it "OUT"

now at frame 30 and zero out all the values again the text moves and shrinks back down to the center of the screen and becomes invisible.

10 frames in, 10 frames idle, 10 frames out.

What I want to be able to do is slide the IN frame marker around to speed up the in transition, and slide the OUT frame marker to adjust the out timing as well. So the beginning of the clip has the first keyframes locked to it, the last keyframes are locked to the last frame in the clip and the in and out layer markers control the middle keyframes.

This would allow me to quickly reuse this clip all over the place and time it quickly and easily. The example above is simplified but if I can get an understanding of the basics Im sure I can figure out how to go more complex with it to control many values using the "IN" and "OUT" marker positions.

Thanks again for the help and I look forward to the reply
kentarou2013

System Specs: Asus ROG G75VW

Postby star+circle on 10/19/2015, 11:42 pm

Although this can probably be done with markers, I'd suggest a separate control layer (like a small solid) with a slider control. You can connect the properties easier to a slider (with the pick whip), and you can then animate the slider and move the keyframes for the slider and everything will follow.
star+circle

Return to After Effects Expressions