Can this be done in Element 3D?

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Can this be done in Element 3D?

Postby dHoward on 10/29/2017, 10:40 am

Hi all,

I posted this in the After Effects forum. No one seems to know if it can be done.

I'm trying to take a drone video of a mountainous landscape, and superimpose a HUD-like effect of a grid (or a wireframe) over top of it so it matches the contours of the ground. It doesn't have to be a perfect match. I want it to look like a grid was dropped from above, and settled over the mountains. I thought I might take a straight forward displace>grid on a layer, and deform it somehow. But there were no real points to displace at the intersections of the grid lines

Anyone have any ideas how I might achieve this?

Is this something that can be done in E3D?

Thanks!
dHoward

Re: Can this be done in Element 3D?

Postby JPT7505 on 10/29/2017, 11:08 am

I already told you in the other post, you're gonna have to make it yourself.
JPT7505

Postby Farmfield on 11/4/2017, 6:16 am

The only way I know of would be using the Nuke camera tracker with the point cloud and poisson mesh loots for generating the mesh, then there's a lot of different ways to go from there to what you are describing - but as far as I know there's no way to do this in AE, not easily, anyway...

And yeah, it's in Japanese, but just something to show the workflow. :)
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby dHoward on 11/5/2017, 7:12 am

Thanks for replying Farmfield (and JPT7505 )

I just posted in the After Effects forum a video of what I'm trying to do.

Here is a reference video similar to what I have in mind. A drone video of a landscape with a grid superimposed over top of it. You can see that the grid follows the contours of the land. That's really the tricky part. I'm beginning to agree with JPT that I won't find a solution in Element 3D.

check the video at 1:10 - 1:20

dHoward

Postby Farmfield on 11/5/2017, 7:26 am

[quote="dHoward" I'm beginning to agree with JPT that I won't find a solution in Element 3D.[/quote]
Well, I actually just thought of another way using After Effects and Element3D. :D

This is in part depending on the type of footage, though, but if you convert the footage to an image sequence at something like 1 fps you'd get a reasonable amount of images to track from using some photogrammetry app like Agisoft Photoscan from which you could output a mesh... If you then track the camera in After Effects you should be able to load the mesh from Photoscan into Element3D and match it up to the camera. That might actually work. :)
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 11/5/2017, 10:34 pm

Farmfield wrote:[quote="dHoward" I'm beginning to agree with JPT that I won't find a solution in Element 3D.

Well, I actually just thought of another way using After Effects and Element3D. :D

This is in part depending on the type of footage, though, but if you convert the footage to an image sequence at something like 1 fps you'd get a reasonable amount of images to track from using some photogrammetry app like Agisoft Photoscan from which you could output a mesh... If you then track the camera in After Effects you should be able to load the mesh from Photoscan into Element3D and match it up to the camera. That might actually work. :)[/quote]

That could DEFINITELY work! Nice solution Farmfield.
Guitarboy2828

Return to Element 3D