Element - Point Cloud

Everything Element 3D belongs here

Element - Point Cloud

Postby Maxweel on 07/17/2013, 3:05 pm

Not trying to knock at open doors, but following a post by SephirothNP, here are a couple CS4 presets to create a point cloud with more controls:

Element Cloud.ffx
Sprite-based point cloud
(424.65 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

The preset needs this model, which is a simple sprite with as few vertices as possible. You need to place the three files in the "Models\Primitives" folder, obviously this is inside Element's "VideoCopilot" folder which is in your Documents by default.

sprite.zip
Sprite model - unzip straight inside the "Primitives" folder
(4.24 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

Steps:

Create a comp with:
- a camera
- a solid
... and apply the preset to the solid. To change the obj, just change the first object in the Scene Setup and don't forget to set it as replicator shape.

Disadvantages:

- it's slow compared to the real Point Cloud output
- you can't always use 100% of the vertices with big models (as I said: freaking slow)

Advantages:

- like in Form you can deform the point cloud using noise
- like in Form you can shade the particles by putting a point or spot light + play with SSAO
- Element's glow effect gives a nice touch (disable it and try without Chromatic Aberration to compare)
- if you use all that + DOF + MB it's not much slower than Form in the end ...

Example:

Done adding some Position Noise + Surface Offset + Chromatic Dispersion in the Glow.

Last edited by Maxweel on 07/20/2013, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxweel

Re: Element - Point Cloud

Postby rsvrdogg86 on 07/18/2013, 12:49 pm

can you post sample clips of these?
rsvrdogg86

Postby klaus brandenburg on 07/18/2013, 1:13 pm

rsvrdogg86 wrote:can you post sample clips of these?

what???
too many clowns - not enough circuses
klaus brandenburg

Postby Maxweel on 07/18/2013, 3:27 pm

rsvrdogg86 wrote:can you post sample clips of these?

Well I thought about this at first but as Klaus seems to think too, it's pretty straightforward.
Anyway, I was planning on making a sample vid if people are interested, but I mean ... it's simple stuff and I was already wondering if it wasn't too much to post presets for that.

If many think it's not that straightfoward I'll be happy to make demos though, but I'll need more time.
Maxweel

Postby SephirothNP on 07/19/2013, 8:29 am

Maxweel wrote:Not trying to knock at open doors, but following a post by SephirothNP, here are a couple CS4 presets to create a point cloud with more controls:

Awesome! Really, really cool of you to take the time for this, Maxweel. Very much appreciated. I am very impressed with how close one can get to Form with this method- the only issue is of course the performance. Looks like Andrew answered the Transfer mode question, so I'll look forward to that when it comes out; in the meantime, will definitely be employing this. Thanks!!
SephirothNP

Postby Maxweel on 07/20/2013, 2:33 pm

Just bumping this thread to let you know I updated the preset: it's now using a sprite model to speed up rendering a bit (only 6 vertices) and it uses the illumination channel so that it's not affected by lights anymore.

Obviously if you want the point cloud to be affected by lights, just replace the sprite by a sphere primitive.
Maxweel

Return to Element 3D