Psunami plugin problem

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Psunami plugin problem

Postby DavAguirre on 11/16/2012, 7:35 pm

Hey guys I'm making a video with the plugin psunami, and I have a pretty big problem integrating 3d elements.

I have my psunami layer and I have a camera. So I thought I could simply parent the camera properties of the Psunami effect, to the ones of the 3d camera and leave the psunami layer as 2d layer. Sadly I found these do not match in certain cases which make my 3D camera move in the opposite way of the camera in the psunami effect layer. Example: I parented the Y-North South (M) property of the psunami camera to the z position of the 3D camera. but when I move this 3D camera the one of the psunami layer moves the opposite way. I increase the z position of the 3D camera which makes it move forward, but when Y-North South (M) property is increased the camera of the psunami moves backwards.

I know this is very complicated to explain so if you do not understand I'll try to explain it better

¿Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
DavAguirre

Re: Psunami plugin problem

Postby jsn951 on 11/16/2012, 10:25 pm

I thought you could just choose the AE cam as the operative within the plugin, I could be wrong havent used that plugin in some time... :=~
Challenge yourself, be Creative!
http://joosefxdigital.blogspot.com/
jsn951

Postby graymachine on 11/17/2012, 12:53 pm

Nope. Cam integration was never introduced. And the controls are difficult to connect via expressions. I do have a project that I can share with you. I've not tested it thoroughly, but it does track the absolute position/rotation/orientation of the active camera. Stand by....
Harry Frank
Motion design tutorials, elements and more.
http://www.graymachine.com
graymachine
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: graymachine

Postby Maxweel on 11/18/2012, 5:02 am

This tutorial might help:

http://www.digitalanarchy.com/tutes/psunami_camera-link.pdf

However I remember it's pretty limited. People interested in a script to attach the camera should write me if willing to help testing.

I don't really understand why they chose to do things so complicated in Psunami. It would be a good idea to release an update that uses the comp's camera, or at least to use the same convention as AE for the position/orientation of the cam.
Maxweel

Postby graymachine on 11/18/2012, 7:57 pm

Here's the project that I was talking about. I "think" this should work, but I've not tested it that thoroughly.

http://cl.ly/Kzln

@Maxweel.. there was never a decision to make it complicated, or to exclude the camera. The psunami plugin actually predates 3D/cameras in After Effects. That's why it was created to use its own camera (and has a UI that looks like somewhere around Mac OS 8 or so.) It just never rose to the top of the priority list to be updated. Plus, it wasn't even developed by Red Giant, but by Digital Anarchy. So, it's basically maintained and supported, but not updated. I'm not saying that's right, or that I agree with that, but that's just how it has played out.

What you can do, though, is request this update. You can send a request to ceo@redgiant.com and say "Hey, I use Psunami and I'd love to see it updated."
Harry Frank
graymachine
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby klaus brandenburg on 11/19/2012, 12:02 am

Maxweel wrote: Plus, it wasn't even developed by Red Giant, but by Digital Anarchy.

Nope, it's by Atomic Power and was aquired by DA. Same goes for Aurora Sky. I think Brian Maffit was somehow involved in this Plugin (if that name rings a bell)
too many clowns - not enough circuses
klaus brandenburg

Postby graymachine on 11/19/2012, 1:26 am

Sorry, you are correct. The development does go way back to Atomic Power, then was handed off to Jim Tierney and DA. Then to Red Giant.

Point being, it's old code that no one has touched in a while. It would be great to see it updated, but I'd bet my next paycheck that any updates to Psunami would be in the form of a total do over.
Harry Frank
graymachine
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby Maxweel on 11/19/2012, 2:01 am

Thanks for the details on the plugin. However not matter how it was designed Red Giant sells today a version that is pretty hard to use and might discourage people to do so. But I'll write an email about this, if anyone else could do the same thing it'd be pretty helpful.
Maxweel

Postby motionflow on 11/19/2012, 5:12 am

It seems to me that it is not working correctly. i have problem to integrate camera movement on z-axis with this plugin. the movement that i see in 3d object position and psunami render does not match in my opinion. Psunami render is moving a lot faster than 3d objects.

I tried both expressions (original DA pdf and Harry''s aep file). we can do some math to make it better, but it's still not correct. Adding to that, there is no real way to integrate those big waves to obscure my 3d layers AND make camera moves. Searching for other solutions now...
motionflow

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 11/19/2012, 8:34 am

I've sent an email. I love Psunami, but it's very outdated now. It would be great to see it updated.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby graymachine on 11/19/2012, 12:19 pm

motionflow wrote:It seems to me that it is not working correctly. i have problem to integrate camera movement on z-axis with this plugin. the movement that i see in 3d object position and psunami render does not match in my opinion. Psunami render is moving a lot faster than 3d objects.

I tried both expressions (original DA pdf and Harry''s aep file). we can do some math to make it better, but it's still not correct. Adding to that, there is no real way to integrate those big waves to obscure my 3d layers AND make camera moves. Searching for other solutions now...

The camera z-axis is directly taken from the "X East-West" parameter. However, it is in Meters adapting to AE's pixels. Plus, Psunami's 0 in Y (Elevation) is not AE's 0.

It all, at best, doesn't match up. A scale could definitely be added to adapt the pixels to meters ratio.
Harry Frank
graymachine
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby motionflow on 12/16/2012, 10:06 am

So in the end i decided to do the sea in AE. Here is a WIP video:
[vimeo] http://vimeo.com/55135057 [/vimeo]
Flags are from C4D - rest is pure AE with only Looks applied. At first i used freeform for flags but it's impossible to link freeform position to 3d object, so i had to redo it in c4d.
motionflow

Postby almostbruno on 08/1/2017, 3:27 pm

I have downloaded the project from @graymachine and also followed the instructions from different sites... but i don't see my camera moving. In fact, i draw a square in the middle of the screen and nothing happens, is as my camera won't follow the AE expression.

Any tips?
almostbruno

System Specs: OSX, CC2017

Return to After Effects