How to make a layer visible beyond viewport in composition?

Compositing and Motion Graphics

How to make a layer visible beyond viewport in composition?

Postby CopilotFan7 on 08/24/2017, 6:56 am

Hello,

I have an inner composition (B), which is supposed to be a landscape. I want the landscape to be very big/wide, so I want to place adjacent images horizontally in (B) and feather them together. Only the first of the adjacent images are within composition B's viewport.

I want the composition it is nested in (A) to do a faux dolly shot travelling horizontally across the landscape (B) by animating a camera moving across it in composition (A).

The problem is, when I animate the camera in (A) and go past where the viewport ends in (B), instead of seeing the image that is beyond the viewport in (B), I just see black.

How can I make it so that I can continue to move the camera horizontally in (A) and see what should be the rest of (B) once I move past (B's) view port?

I've attached a crude image of what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks so much for your help!
Attachments
explain.png
CopilotFan7

Re: How to make a layer visible beyond viewport in composition?

Postby Gerry Clark on 08/24/2017, 8:48 am

Could you nest Comp B in Comp A then simply animate Comp Bs position rather than use a camera move?
Gerry Clark

Postby CopilotFan7 on 08/24/2017, 5:12 pm

Thanks for the idea, Gerry. I actually managed to solve it by using Collapse Transformations as Duncan recently suggested for my other question, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=128738#p388698. I'm now able to animate the camera in the outer comp (A) to dolly horizontally across the inner comp (B) that expands beyond the view port.

Thanks, Duncan, though this wasn't the question you meant to answer. :)
CopilotFan7

Postby Gerry Clark on 08/25/2017, 1:01 am

Good to know. "Collapse transformations" has got me out of trouble a few times in the past.
Gerry Clark

Return to After Effects