water or Particle flowing in the pipe

Compositing and Motion Graphics

water or Particle flowing in the pipe

Postby kylization on 07/10/2017, 12:32 pm

Hi All,

Want to have some advice on how to create the water/ particle flowing look in the blow videos with having to make it in Realflow, thanks for any input!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1dzl5iokYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv5p7o-7Pms

Best Regards,
Kyle
kylization

System Specs: i7, 32GB RAM, Win10

Re: water or Particle flowing in the pipe

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 07/18/2017, 3:01 pm

Those videos aren't using RealFlow at all. In fact, they're both really, really simple.

The first one is just some reflective cylinders and planes with some animated noise in the bump channel (or distortion channel) being revealed. You can create the cylinders and planes with reflective materials and noise in Cinema 4D Lite that comes free with After Effects! It's a deceptively simple setup. You do a render without them there and then a render with them there and then use wipes/masks in AE to reveal the different systems.

The second one is just some particle flows, but again, without any fluid physics at all! Each tube and plane are a separate system. You could do it with Particular if you have it, but you might get closer to it using flow maps in Foam (which comes with After Effects). In either case, you'll want to use a distort effect of some kind to massage the particles exactly the way you want them to look.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby jedimasta on 07/19/2017, 1:12 pm

I'd say forget particles all together. The effect crawling up the grates (or whatever they are) could probably be achieved using fractal noise with just a little bit of evolution and offset animated over time.
jedimasta

Twitter: themediageeks

Postby kylization on 08/15/2017, 11:42 am

Hello Micheal and Jedi,

I want to come back to say thank you for both of your inputs, taking into the consideration of your comments, I am able to finish a very close product animation like the reference with the clues you provided. I really appreciate the time you have taken for a newbie on this forum.

I end up using the an animated water normal map sequence and created animated water material in E3D. you can tell how powerful it is as you dig into it...

Best Regards,
KYle
kylization

System Specs: i7, 32GB RAM, Win10

Return to After Effects