Need camera to rotate comp after camera flip transition..

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Need camera to rotate comp after camera flip transition..

Postby WhoisRip on 07/6/2017, 1:31 am

Hi everyone,

Filmed a scene where a car/motorcycle chase passes under a bridge. It starts right side up...then I follow them from up top as they pass under a bridge and come out on the other side...but the camera is upside down when they come out the other end. Please take a look:

I filmed them both normally on a tripod then inverted the 2nd clip (them exiting) to make the transition look right. During the transition (blending of two laters) I want to rotate the camera back as they come out so the orientation is normal again.

I'm guessing I have to do some sort of 3D camera thing rather than a simple 2D rotation. I'd like it to look cinematic, not corny.

INSIGHT and HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
WhoisRip

System Specs: Windows 7 Professional (64 bit), Intel i7 4790k, 32 GB Ram, 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU

Adobe CC 2017

Element 3D 2.2.2

Re: Need camera to rotate comp after camera flip transition..

Postby Duncan on 07/6/2017, 7:46 am

Easy, sacrifices image size for a moment:

Scale up, rotate, scale down. Turn on Motion Blur for layer and comp.

Easy, might not look good:

Use Motion Tile to increase Output Width and Output Height, Turn on Motion Blur for layer and comp, Rotate Quickly.

Hard, might not look good.

Some combination of Camera Tracking, with Photoshop Matte Paining to expand the edges of the frame. This one will be tricky.
Duncan

Postby WhoisRip on 07/6/2017, 9:57 am

Thanks for the input, Duncan. I feel like Andrew Kramer would probably do it a different way.

But, for now, what I'm going to do is a mix of all of those.

I'm going to do a Matte Painting, mixed with a zoom and this spin transition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfpSMLHODPE

Thanks again for your input. Still look for others....
WhoisRip

System Specs: Windows 7 Professional (64 bit), Intel i7 4790k, 32 GB Ram, 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU

Adobe CC 2017

Element 3D 2.2.2

Postby Duncan on 07/6/2017, 11:20 am

That Mirror Effect the guys uses in Premiere in the tutorial you posted is basically the same as using Motion Tile, only it will take far less time to set up.

All you have to do with Motion Tile is select the check box for "Mirror Edges" and increase the Output Width and Output Height as I mentioned.
Duncan

Postby Faust on 07/6/2017, 12:42 pm

The way I would do it is have one continuous motion. In the first clip, have the camera pan down until the screen turns dark, then in the second clip, have the camera pan down from the sky (blending the dark of the bridge with the black of the sky) . This way you don't have this awkward down/up movement, and both clips are right side up.
I have dual citizenship with the United States and Florida.

http://chariotdrive.com/
Faust

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Zeke_Faust
System Specs: Intel 4930k 6-Core 3.4 GHz
GIGABYTE GTX 1080
32GB RAM
2x240GB Samsung SSD
1TB Samsung SSD

Postby WhoisRip on 07/6/2017, 1:42 pm

Faust wrote:The way I would do it is have one continuous motion. In the first clip, have the camera pan down until the screen turns dark, then in the second clip, have the camera pan down from the sky (blending the dark of the bridge with the black of the sky) . This way you don't have this awkward down/up movement, and both clips are right side up.

That's originally how I shot it and was gonna do it but anyone will tell you...it doesn't look natural or realistic to the eye. Because the movements aren't the same.
WhoisRip

Adobe CC 2017

Element 3D 2.2.2

Return to After Effects