Adjustment Layer affect certain masks on one layer

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Adjustment Layer affect certain masks on one layer

Postby psypent81 on 06/8/2017, 8:02 pm

Hello everyone!

Ok, Just wanted to see if this was possible..
I am working in AECC 2014.

I am working on trying to apply a blur to a body--the face and the chest, while cutting out arms and other limbs that go in front of the person.
I have an adjustment layer, and to it, I have 5 masks. Two of those masks are in the "Add" mode and 3 of them are in the subtract mode.
So all my layers are in one layer.

My question is. Can I apply a different Fast Blur value to each of the masks in Add Mode, or is whatever value I use in the adjustment layer the only value I can have? The reason being is that I want to make a lighter blur on one and a darker blur on the other..

If it isn't possible, what would be another solution?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate any help!
psypent81

Re: Adjustment Layer affect certain masks on one layer

Postby krisq on 06/9/2017, 12:12 am

AFAIK, you can't. Is there a reason you want to have it on one adjustment layer instead of few?
Maybe making blur stronger and then playing with masks' opacity will give you desired effect.
Personally, I would use seperate adjustment layers if possible.
krisq

Re: Adjustment Layer affect certain masks on one layer

Postby psypent81 on 06/11/2017, 10:32 pm

Hey Krisq, thanks for the response.

The reason I use one layer is because that's how people at work do it, and i'm just trying to figure out why, and if there is, like you said a better way..

I'll try to give a clearer example. Lets say you have a person and they are waving their hands in front of their face, and a logo on their shirt throughout the entire clip. Sometimes, the hand obstructs the face AND the shirt, which is why I have the two blur shapes in one layer. If I do multiple blurs, the shape would be in BOTH adjustment layers..but I will try this and see what happens. Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate it!
psypent81

Return to After Effects