Diagnosing/troubleshooting broken project

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Diagnosing/troubleshooting broken project

Postby DJTerrum on 11/24/2017, 8:23 am

Hi community, I'm new here and hoping I can get some help with a project I bought from Videohive. Unfortunately the seller is choosing not to support me, and I would rather try look into the issue with the project than receive a refund.

As much as I would love to give as much details as I can on the issue, the project hangs as soon as I open it. No errors, the yellow loading bar just keeps moving. And I can't click on anything. I can't even click the X button on the top-right of the window. I have to right-click on AE from the taskbar in order to close it, which then it asks me to save (I click 'don't save') and then it keeps coming up with a “After Effects error: internal structure inconsistency ( 25 :: 81 )” error and each time I hit OK it just keeps coming back up, so I have to use task manager to forcibly close AE. I believe some preset might be corrupt or something but I would love to try find the culprit if anyone is willing to help. I will of course be willing to answer any questions and provide more information if need be!

Running Windows 10, Intel i7 4xk series, 16GB RAM, R9 290X GPU. Also tested on a laptop with AMD 8k APU (built-in gaming graphics), 8GB RAM, Windows 10 too. So I have tested the project on two machines (one with CS6, another with CS5.5) both with no plugins and completely clean installs but the same issue occurs, so it is definitely an issue with the project itself and not my computers.

I would love to be able to try diagnose it and therefore any help would be extremely appreciated! Thanks so much everyone :)
DJTerrum

System Specs: Intel i7 4xk series, 16GB RAM, R9 290X GPU

Re: Diagnosing/troubleshooting broken project

Postby Westbam on 11/29/2017, 10:54 pm

You sure it isn't a CC project? I doubt those are backwards compatible. (just get the demo from Adobe)
Westbam

Postby DJTerrum on 11/30/2017, 7:03 am

Westbam wrote:You sure it isn't a CC project? I doubt those are backwards compatible. (just get the demo from Adobe)

Thanks a lot for your reply! I'm certain it is not a CC project. The seller described it as a project that was made in After Effects CS5. I tried the project in CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 to no avail. Sometimes I've managed to get the project loaded, but as soon as I move to another composition for example it would just hang again. Something in the project itself is surely overloading or broken and it would be great to find out what it is :)
DJTerrum

Postby JPT7505 on 11/30/2017, 9:59 am

Willing to upload for testing than we can delete it?
JPT7505

Postby DJTerrum on 11/30/2017, 5:18 pm

JPT7505 wrote:Willing to upload for testing than we can delete it?

As it's a paid project it would be against my contract to share it. Although I'm sure it's fine if you ensure it is completely deleted afterwards. I can PM you an attachment to the project file if you wish, just let me know :)
DJTerrum

Postby JPT7505 on 11/30/2017, 5:28 pm

Go for it
JPT7505

Postby ender772 on 12/5/2017, 8:55 am

Try opening the project when after effects is not open...sometimes this helps..or try importing it like footage into another project
ender772

Postby DJTerrum on 12/6/2017, 6:59 pm

Sorry for getting back to this thread so late. I have managed to test the project in CC 2018 as JPT7505 suggested, this works a lot better as the project loads more stably but there is still frequent hanging. Less so when moving from composition to another, but moreso when scrubbing to different timestamps. I'm pretty sure some effect or script is messed up somewhere within the project. So still looking for help :)

ender772 wrote:Try opening the project when after effects is not open...sometimes this helps..or try importing it like footage into another project

I tried opening it without after effects open (so loading it from the project file instead of loading it through after effects itself) and unfortunately it has the same effect. I also tried importing the project into a new project and no luck! I'm convinced there's some overloading composition or effect somewhere :) Just somehow need to diagnose it!
DJTerrum

Return to After Effects