How can I make my story "Morfiend"

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

How can I make my story "Morfiend"

Postby Dysani on 05/30/2017, 10:58 pm

So, I am stumped Andrew, and was hoping you could help me.

I write stories and wanted to make a short video, promoting my story "Morfiend" (shape shifting kids, with a diabolical fiend)

-= SIDE NOTE=- In this world, the kids are raised in a boarding school. They believe that they need to perfect their special abilities, so that they could go out and save other shape shifters, and bring them to the school. This morphing world is not like the show "True Blood", because they cant morph into animated things. In this world, they can only morph into objects or things that have no moving parts. (think terminator 2 style) Because of this, the school grades them based on things like texture and etc. -= SIDE NOTE=-

The scene I am stumped on: A kid is in his dorm room studying. He morphs into a desk that has been in his room as long as he could remember. His face pops out of the side of the desk (while keeping the same texture), so he can see how well he did. When he sees that he finally perfected his ability, a light comes on over his head, and he cant unmorph. Then people come into his room with paint cans, and stain him to death, as he is begging them not to.

Andrew, please tell me if there is a way I could make this with good quality and on a budget?
Dysani

Re: How can I make my story "Morfiend"

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 06/1/2017, 6:40 am

You can do a lot of this practically, that is, not in post.
The morph itself would be done in the computer (and how you would do that depends entirely on how you want the morph to look).
But once the kind becomes the desk with his face sticking out, you would want to use a real desk and a real kid with makeup on his face to make him look like part of the desk.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby Dysani on 06/1/2017, 11:53 am

Is there a tutorial here, that would give me an idea how to do the morphing part?

Would I have to add like table legs to the actors arms, as he is wearing a green screen outfit?
Dysani

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 06/5/2017, 6:32 am

Just cut a hole in a desk for their face. Unless you are wanting the desk to move around...

There is a good (old) morphing tutorial on Creative COW here.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects