Particular inky/smokey look "tutorial"

Share your homemade tutorials with everyone

Particular inky/smokey look "tutorial"

Postby Viper on 07/27/2010, 4:57 am

So I've been getting a few questions from here and there regarding how I got the inky/smokey look of my particles in this video:

I figued I'd might as well share with the community how I did it and see what others can come up with.
Do note that this is not going to be a proper tutorial as such, but more a run-down of my settings and some notes on them.

So without further ado, here's some pictures of the settings and expressions:

BT, Every Other Way 04 - Effect 01.png
Particular settings 1

BT, Every Other Way 04 - Effect 02.png
Particular settings 2

BT, Every Other Way 04 - Effect 03.png
Particular settings 3

Continued in next post...
Last edited by Viper on 12/8/2010, 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Viper

Re: Particular inky/smokey look "tutorial"

Postby Viper on 07/27/2010, 4:57 am

BT, Every Other Way 04 - Effect 04.png
Particular settings 4

BT, Every Other Way 04 - Timeline.png
Expressions

Ok, so here are my notes on the different settings:

Particles/sec is controlled by an expression that multiplies the amount of particles up to a certain amount, where it then just uses a static number. This is to reduce render times and also keep the somewhat same look through-out, by not generating too many particles as the amplitude increases.
You may also note that I don't use a whole lot of particles here. Most of the look comes from the aux. system.

Position XY is fairly simple. Push the particles up as the amplitude increases.

Life Random Is set somewhat high, but could easily be set higher. This is one of the more important settings.

Size Random is also set fairly high. Again a somewhat important setting.

Opacity is set very low, which helps give it that smokey look.

Opacity Random is set to zero, but could easily be turned up high.

Color is controlled from an expression, where it's coloured from the low, mid and high frequencies, with a boost of the red (low) colour.

Color Random is set to 2... Why the hell not? :)

Spin Amplitude is set to a moderate number, to break up the main particles a bit and distribute the aux. system particles a bit, too.

Fade-in Spin is set to the same number as the particle life. This is to slowly fade in the spin. Don't want too much in the beginning of the particle life.

Wind X well, the particles have to move in a direction, so yeah :P

Affect Size is in this case set to zero, but could easily be used.

Affect Position is set to a moderate amount. Can always play around with the amount, but I found that the given number worked fine for this piece.

Fade-in Time is again set to the life of the particles, to slowly fade in the effect.

Fade-in Curve I changed this to Linear to, well, give it a linear curve ;) It's no big change, but I think it worked better like that.

Scale I upped to 16, seemed to work well in this case.

Complexity is set to 5, increased from 3 to work better with the increased scale.

Evolution Speed this is one of the more important settings. It's vital that you set this somewhat low as you'd otherwise get very fast moving changes in the affected particles position.

Emit Probability I set this to 32 because I didn't need to emit from each main particle. This also helps speed up rendering as less particles are emitted. Emitting too many aux. system particles can also clutter up the look, so it's a number you'll have to play around with to see what works with the amount of main particles you're emitting.

Particles/sec is set to 128. Could always increase it to better define the aux. system particles, but it will increase render time. Find a number that works for your piece.

Opacity is again set to a low value, to give it that smokey look.

Inherit Velocity isn't vital as such. But this high of an amount requires some Air Resistance, seen further down. This is just to break up the aux. system particles a bit as they die out. Not overly important, but it's there.

Stop Emit is reduced from 100 to something that makes the aux. system particles live a little longer than the main.

Turbulence Position is set somewhat high, again because the effect of the Air Resistance. If Air Resistance is left at zero this should probably be a lot lower.

Life could easily be higher - try and play with it. But this is a very important setting to get the aux. system particles to die at random times.

Size again increases the random look. Could be higher if desired.

Opaicty also plays into the random look. Play around with it and see what fits.

I hope all this helps out and we'll see some more splendid "dancing particles." Feel free to ask questions and I'll try and answer the best I can :)
Viper

Postby fundamental on 07/27/2010, 8:05 pm

HI,

I'm trying get a good color transition in the inky/smoke. Can you explain the color setup a bit more, in your previous file you have a colored lights setup, but i see it's a bit different here.

Also, as the particles start to die off, they tend to spread right across the screen, what setting can I altar to keep it more uniform as it dies off.

Kind regards,
p.
fundamental

Postby Viper on 07/28/2010, 12:15 pm

The colouring comes from the low, mid and high values of the music. It's then assisted by a few lights carefully placed in the particles path. The last one with a negative intensity to darken the particles as they fade out.

Have you made sure velocity is set to zero for the emitter? Else reduce the turbulence position in the physics and/or for the aux. system particles.

Hope that helps :)
Viper

Postby Ampix0 on 09/14/2010, 1:20 pm

Can someone post a preset for this? For some reason mine just went away with the shading
Ampix0

Postby Viper on 09/23/2010, 11:20 am

Ampix0 wrote:Can someone post a preset for this? For some reason mine just went away with the shading

Do you have any lights in your scene? If not, then the particles will become black when turning on shading. This might be what you're experiencing.
Viper

Postby daelril on 01/3/2012, 11:08 am

i don't understand whats the "Combined amplitude" in the expression, i guess something in your timeline as well as "slider"...i would really like to have a look at your timeline and at the objects in it
daelril

Postby Viper on 01/3/2012, 4:00 pm

daelril wrote:i don't understand whats the "Combined amplitude" in the expression, i guess something in your timeline as well as "slider"...i would really like to have a look at your timeline and at the objects in it

Does this explain it?
BT,-Every-Other-Way-04---Timeline,-Controller.png

I moved the keyframes from Sound Keys into their own sliders in that controller layer.
Viper

Return to Personal Tutorials & Websites