open mkv in after effects cs5

A place for beginners to start

open mkv in after effects cs5

Postby pitorasilo on 12/9/2010, 2:27 am

When i am importing a mkv file, it gives an error saying that it is a unsupported filetype. Is there a way to open mkv in CS5?
pitorasilo

Re: open mkv in after effects cs5

Postby DeVaBox on 12/9/2010, 5:37 am

Taken from the internets dude:

"MKV, like AVI and QuickTime, is just a container format. It doesn't actually specify what codec you're using.

AE doesn't really like temporally compressed media (see Dave's Stock Answer #1 quoted below). I think your best bet is to transcode your MKV media to a different container with an intraframe codec. Uncompressed AVI, Quicktime Animation (at 100%) or Quicktime PNG would all be good choices. You could also use an image sequence if your MKV tools don't write AVI or MOV.

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems."
DeVaBox

Postby Rob Neal on 12/9/2010, 9:07 am

pitorasilo wrote:Is there a way to open mkv in CS5?

No. Convert it.
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 12/9/2010, 9:09 am

Dave's Stock Answer #1 only applies to CS4 and earlier. (Especially earlier). CS4 was much improved on its handling of interframe compression and I have not heard of CS5 having any issues with it at all.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby pitorasilo on 12/9/2010, 10:42 am

Michael_Szalapski wrote:Dave's Stock Answer #1 only applies to CS4 and earlier. (Especially earlier). CS4 was much improved on its handling of interframe compression and I have not heard of CS5 having any issues with it at all.

But that means that should be a way to import mkv files. Only to find out how
pitorasilo

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 12/9/2010, 11:29 am

pitorasilo wrote:
Michael_Szalapski wrote:Dave's Stock Answer #1 only applies to CS4 and earlier. (Especially earlier). CS4 was much improved on its handling of interframe compression and I have not heard of CS5 having any issues with it at all.

But that means that should be a way to import mkv files. Only to find out how

No, that just means AE can handle interframe compression better, not that it can handle files with the .MKV container. Here is the list of supported file formats. Note the absence of .MKV.
Michael_Szalapski

Postby krisq on 06/3/2015, 9:02 am

Most MKV files I've dealt with are using h.264 for video. Simple re-mux to MP4 would probably fix your issue. You don't have to re-encode it in most of the cases.
krisq

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 06/8/2015, 10:58 am

chris198810 wrote:To get these MKV videos accepted by After Effects, you'll have to convert MKV to After Effects friendly video format like MPEG-2

This is terrible advice. You don't want to go from one compressed file into ANOTHER (inferior) compression for post production work. You're just adding more compression which means lower quality. If you must re-encode, do it into a proper intermediate codec such as QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec or QuickTime with the PNG codec.
Michael_Szalapski

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)