Realistic Asset Shake

A place for beginners to start

Realistic Asset Shake

Postby Scarlett on 05/21/2017, 5:40 pm

Hello everyone,
i'm looking for a comfortable way to animate 2D assets in order for them to shake realistically, as if you would cut them out from a sheet of paper and move them around by hand. Doing it manually with simple keyframes doesn't seem to be the most optimal way and the results often seem a bit too stiff. Adding the right rotation for each directional movement is also quite inconvenient in cases where you want to use alot direction shifts.

Here is the best example i could find on YouTube. Better mute the video since it might sound quite annoying but the animation, despite the abrupt ending, is pretty much what i want to achieve: https://youtu.be/Fc_8wbTrmhE?t=9

I already thank everyone in advance that took the time to read this. Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Scarlett
Scarlett

System Specs: Windows 10 64-Bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz
16GB RAM

Re: Realistic Asset Shake

Postby Gerry Clark on 05/23/2017, 1:12 am

I'd be inclined to use wiggle expressions for position and rotation and link them to slider controllers to be keyframed for greater control of the movement.
Gerry Clark

Postby Scarlett on 05/23/2017, 4:34 am

Gerry Clark wrote:I'd be inclined to use wiggle expressions for position and rotation and link them to slider controllers to be keyframed for greater control of the movement.

Thanks for the suggestion, Gerry. Linking the expression to a controller helps alot here, didn't even know about this functionality before.

Something that would also help is a methode where i can move the asset by hand, while leaving a keyframe every so often. Is something like this possible? It would really improve the natural feeling of the movement.
Scarlett

System Specs: Windows 10 64-Bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz
16GB RAM

Postby Gerry Clark on 05/25/2017, 4:08 am

In that case Motion Sketch is exactly what you need (Window/Motion Sketch). Hit "Start Capture", grab your layer and jiggle away in real time.
Gerry Clark

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)