How do I create a horizontal timeline

A place for beginners to start

How do I create a horizontal timeline

Postby varxtis on 05/12/2017, 8:03 am

I feel pretty stupid for asking this because this should be fundamental crap, so I figured this belongs in the beginners section.
I am trying to create a timeline (not a question about the timeline feature in after effects) where at desired times, markers pass from right to left indicating a measure of time passing. In this specific case, its years, but that doesn't really matter. I don't really know how to go about it since there will be multiple time lapses with varying ranges. Ive searched and searched, but gues what always comes up... info about the After Effects Timeline feature -_-.
I know the same principal would probably apply to the compass(?) at the bottom of a HUD, but I cant seem to phrase that right either apparently.
Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by varxtis on 06/9/2017, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
varxtis

Re: How do I create ahorizontal timeline

Postby JPT7505 on 05/12/2017, 2:06 pm

JPT7505

Postby varxtis on 05/12/2017, 3:57 pm

Awesome! Thank you! That's certainly an amazing tool!! Ill have to get it next time i get paid. but in the mean time... any tips on doing it the manual way? Again, I search "Graphical rulers" and all I get are tips on using guides and ruler features of the After Effects program
varxtis

Postby JPT7505 on 05/12/2017, 11:33 pm

No easy method without extensive expressions
JPT7505

Postby gregalan on 05/13/2017, 6:41 pm

Hi, I can't get my head around exactly what you're wanting. Could you give us a visual representation of what you want it to look like and a more detailed description of what it needs to do?
gregalan

Postby varxtis on 05/13/2017, 7:01 pm

I can when i get back to my computer, but I won't be back till tomorrow afternoon. Will do it then.
varxtis

Postby varxtis on 05/15/2017, 3:36 pm

Sorry Im so late. I thought I had a video sample, but I just ended up rendering what I have so far. It's not horrible, but it just seems choppy. I've tried using keyframes to control the passage of notches to look like it's increasing or decreasing in speed, and even tried playing around with Easy-ease. But somethings so off. Maybe too many notches?

Im SOOO anxious to get easyRulers now lol.

https://youtu.be/_Jm3rhY9mbY
Its a very short snippet.
varxtis

Postby gregalan on 05/15/2017, 8:07 pm

Hi, to my eye it is functional and works - by which I mean doesn't appear choppy - though I'm confused about what the strokes represent (the first date 1850 sits above a long stroke, the second date 1881 also sits above a long stroke). You might want to investigate using the graph view to finesse the speed in and out if Easy-ease isn't doing it for you?
gregalan

Postby varxtis on 05/16/2017, 9:23 am

Thank you. I'll take that as a compliment. I'm still trying to Figure out what the "strokes" represent myself. For this demo, I was thinking the long strokes represent 10? The initial long stroke is center and represents 1850, but the when the strokes stop for 1881, the long stroke is just passed centered, to the left. Im trying to adjust passage of timed based on the narration. The time between the reader stating "1881" and then starts reading is NOT much at all. So Im trying to balance out how many strokes should appear, and then base their representation on that. Too many strokes, it just looks like a blur. Especially if I cant get the animation to wind-up and then wind-down. Not enough and I think it'll look almost like it's standing still.

The graph editor. That's one of the things that's been driving me absolutely nuts and made me think perhaps I was going about this "timeline" thing all wrong. I can't get them to go into bezier curves. So, I think thats why Im getting a "choppy" flow/animation. This actually seems to be a principal I can't grasp, as this isn't the only animation Ive had issues with keyframes, easy-ease, and the graph editor.

Also, with regards to animations and tutorials, does anyone know what this would be titled as? I can only thing of "timeline".

EDIT:
So, I played around a bit more and swapped which keyframes were easy-ease-in and out and it seems to have done wonders. I still wish I could figure out why I cant use bezier curves on the graph editor though
varxtis

Postby varxtis on 05/16/2017, 9:51 pm

Heres an updated rendering - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPRx0aY ... e=youtu.be
So here's why I really wanted to know how to go about this. I don't do this with enough frequency to "master" expressions, pickwips, etc... so what I end up doing is a bunch of shape layers, text with sliders, parenting text with "notches" shape layer, and duplicating the year title for each 5th.
Its a jumbled mess. not clean at at all. And I still have to repeat this process for 5 more dates referenced. Im probably just going to duplicate all layers, except for the text layer that's counting with slider and expression. There's got to be a quicker, cleaner, more orderly way of going about this.
varxtis

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)