Element 3D Text blurry in comp

A place for beginners to start

Element 3D Text blurry in comp

Postby pianosdr on 05/2/2016, 1:48 pm

Hi All,

This is a total noob question, I get it, but I've spent more hours than I care to admit trying to figure out what I'm not doing right. I've attached some images showing the problem. I'm using Element 3D (v2.2) to create 3D text. My end goal is to sort of mimic the Universal logo with 3D text flying in around the world.

Everything looks great in Element 3D. The text is super detailed, the lighting looks high quality and high resolution, reflectivity is awesome...until I hit "OK" to render that product into my AE comp. As soon as I do this, the text in the comp appears blurry, not nearly as detailed as it appears in the scene setup, etc.

I've tried fiddling with all of the resolution settings I can possibly think of, including: Making the comp itself high resolution to begin with (1920x1080), setting the rendering resolution to "Full," setting the Element 3D Output multisampling setting to 16 and supersampling to 4, setting Element 3D Tesselation resolution to Extreme, and adding 3 point lights in various locations in the comp to help illuminate the text. The result is what I'm showing in images here. Could someone help point me in the right direction? I'd like to get exactly what the scene looks like in Element 3D to actually appear in my AE comp so that I can continue with creating that Universal logo (I chose Universal so that I could practice with using 3D text).

Thanks!

The first image is showing how the text appears in Element 3D-- super detailed.

The next 2 images are showing how that same text appears in AE once I hit "OK" in Element to render it out to the comp. Not nearly as detailed as it appears in Element.
Attachments
Element3D_Text.png
Close up of text in Element 3D scene setup
AE_Test2.png
Shot of full text in Element 3D scene setup
AE_Test1.png
How text appears in After Effects comp
Last edited by pianosdr on 05/2/2016, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pianosdr

System Specs: 16 gb ram
4.5 ghz processor OC'd
AVI Radeon 290X x2

Re: Element 3D Text blurry in comp

Postby pianosdr on 05/2/2016, 1:51 pm

Here's one more reference image of how the text appears in Element 3D (I was only able to attach 3 images to the original post).

Again, this text appears extremely detailed in Element 3D but does not at all appear to have that same level of resolution in the AE comp.
Attachments
Element3D_Text2.png
pianosdr

4.5 ghz processor OC'd
AVI Radeon 290X x2

Postby Duncan on 05/3/2016, 6:36 am

A few quesitons:

• What are the dimensions of the Solid you have Element applied to?

• In the Effects Controls Panel, is Element set to Full Render or Preview

• Are you viewing your Comp at 100% in the Composition window, or are you zoomed in?

• Do you have a 3D camera in your scene, and is Depth of Field enabled?

Answers:

• Solid should match the size of your Composition (1080 x 1920)

• Set to full render, although this is not likely the culprit

• Zoom out in your composition window by hitting Control/Command - (Dash)

• Select your Camera, and hit A-A to twirl down the camera options, set Depth of Field to "Off"

Let me know if any of these work. If not, some additional information and screenshots would be helpful.
Duncan

Postby pianosdr on 05/4/2016, 3:57 pm

Hey Duncan, thanks for the reply! Sorry I was a little slow to respond here. I misplaced the original comp causing blur issues, and the new comp I have now doesn't seem to be exhibiting those same problems, so it is probably one of those reasons you listed that was causing the problem. I made sure that all of the suggestions you had are being applied in my new comp, and since there's no problem now, I assume that's it.

Thanks!
pianosdr

4.5 ghz processor OC'd
AVI Radeon 290X x2

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)