Element 3D: Multi-Object Tool is "Shattering" The 3D Model

A place for beginners to start

Element 3D: Multi-Object Tool is "Shattering" The 3D Model

Postby blsmith2112 on 03/29/2016, 10:03 am

I applied multi-object & a displace effect on a 3D Model I was supplied. This is what happened: http://imgur.com/UiTsxaL. Now I can open up the 3D Model in the Scene Setup and view every sub-object within the model just fine. What I want to understand is how to use this displace effect on all of the individual elements without literally slicing them into 20000 pieces, but instead the 100 complete pieces that make up this one 3D model.

This tutorial uses the same effect but does not have all the pieces split up into tiny slices but rather the individual elements that make up the 3D Model (my goal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hjNjPHix70

Thanks all.
blsmith2112

Re: Element 3D: Multi-Object Tool is "Shattering" The 3D Model

Postby Farmfield on 03/29/2016, 10:59 am

Your problem is the model IS shattered, not that Element 3D (which in itself cannot manipulate mesh data on that level, like separating polygons) is shattering it. You need to fix this in a 3D app before importing the model into Element.

If I'm not mistaken, Houdini Apprentice, the free version of Houdini, can export obj's unrestricted, and there's a couple of helpful SOP nodes that would likely solve this pretty easily, the fuse SOP and the clean SOP. And though Houdini isn't the simplest application to get into, for something like this, you really don't need to dive in very deep. :)
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Re: Element 3D: Multi-Object Tool is "Shattering" The 3D Model

Postby blsmith2112 on 03/29/2016, 12:39 pm

Farmfield wrote:Your problem is the model IS shattered, not that Element 3D (which in itself cannot manipulate mesh data on that level, like separating polygons) is shattering it. You need to fix this in a 3D app before importing the model into Element.

If I'm not mistaken, Houdini Apprentice, the free version of Houdini, can export obj's unrestricted, and there's a couple of helpful SOP nodes that would likely solve this pretty easily, the fuse SOP and the clean SOP. And though Houdini isn't the simplest application to get into, for something like this, you really don't need to dive in very deep. :)

Thanks for the quick reply!! For the 'fuse SOP' purposes you mentioned, do you know if any resources I can search for to try and learn how to accomplish what you are recommending? Do you know if this is a very manually intensive process or is it something that I can simply "select all > apply effect > export"? All I would be doing within that program is attempt to prevent a full shatter like in the original image but instead have the individual objects separate away from other objects.

Edit: Can Blender do this? Houdini Apprentice crashes every time I load my Engine model.
blsmith2112

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)