After Effects and C4D Learning Flow

A place for beginners to start

After Effects and C4D Learning Flow

Postby ahammond12 on 11/3/2015, 6:12 pm

Hello all,

I have been going through after effects essential training, (actually finished 2 courses) and have a basic understanding of how everything works.

Now i just need to get into it and mess around in the sandbox and see how everything works.

But then C4D comes in. I have C4D Lite that comes with CC, but also downloaded the 42 day trial.

I am wondering what my learning flow should be between these 2? Should i learn both at the same time? Or should I work super hard at learning after effects, how things work and function, then push my way to C4D?

Any help would be necessary, as I cannot afford university training, I am doing it all through sites like lynda, pluralsight, Video CoPilot etc.

Thank you so much

*edit*

Another question may be: What is an effective way to learn these programs / motion graphics in general.
ahammond12

Re: After Effects and C4D Learning Flow

Postby plae57 on 11/4/2015, 5:32 am

The answer totally depends on what you want to do with your skills. 3d application have a HUGE learning curve. Measured in months if not years to produce something that is professional quality. Second is the price of "free" vs "$1k".

If you are going to be using 3d for text or basic models built from primitives, then I would just work with the free version.

If you want to go beyond that, then think about the more pricey version. Another option if you want to do a lot of 3d both professionally and as a hobby, then I would take a very close look at Blender. It is free and very powerful, but it's just not used by many professional houses. If you are like me, and work independently where the client is only concerned with the final product and not how you got there, then Blender is a great option. It is not integrated with AE, but with e3d it doesn't really have to be.

As for where you learn, I am self trained, and I would guess that a lot of others, both professional and hobbyist, are self trained. University is not always the best place to learn a technology that is in constant change.
plae57

Postby Farmfield on 11/4/2015, 6:56 am

Best way to learn anything, in my opinion, is setting up a goal for a shot/scene, like an aircraft crashing, picking a random photo of New York on the web, doing a scifi type mattepainting and/or a day for night shot (ore animating it), doing a shot with age reduction, etc... Give yourself a challenge and you'll figure out what apps you need and what to do in each app. In the end the most important thing to know is what app/technique to use for a specific thing in a shot. :)
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby ahammond12 on 11/4/2015, 10:12 am

thanks for the all the input so far!

Good ideas :)
ahammond12

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)