Animate still image of bass drum head

A place for beginners to start

Animate still image of bass drum head

Postby AeonSatori on 10/11/2015, 4:01 pm

Hello,

I am making my first promo video in After Effects for my band and need some advice. I want to create the illusion that I have a nice graphic drum head on my bass drum. I have replaced the original plain black bass drum head with a still graphic for my band, masked around the drum and changed the perspective good enough, but to complete the illusion, I need it animate like a real drum head with each hit of the drum. It doesn't even need to be that precise with key-frames, but I need it to ripple a bit like a real plastic head and have no idea how to distort it. Any ideas on what plugin to use to achieve this effect.

Thanks all!
AeonSatori

System Specs: Hackintosh OS X 10.9
3930K i7 6-Core @ 4.2GHz, 32GB RAM, XFX HD-6870 Radeon 2GB

Re: Animate still image of bass drum head

Postby Farmfield on 10/11/2015, 4:06 pm

I think a mask and a blur will yield the most realistic result, the drum vibrates so much faster than the frame rate, it would just register as motionblurred anywa
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby AeonSatori on 10/11/2015, 4:39 pm

Thanks Farmfield! I think you may be right. I was initially thinking of something that makes the head protrude into Z-space quickly with a blur ontop, but didn't know what plugin would do that.

Any particular blur you recommend? Maybe radial blur and animate the blur amount with fast spikes?
AeonSatori

System Specs: Hackintosh OS X 10.9
3930K i7 6-Core @ 4.2GHz, 32GB RAM, XFX HD-6870 Radeon 2GB

Postby Farmfield on 10/12/2015, 5:37 pm

Well, it's all about matching your footage so the only way is to start messing about, doing RnD until you have something that works. But I imagine you'd probably shouldn't need to implement anything too complicated, keep it simple and focus on tweaking it right, that's what I try to do most of the time. Tweaking is always what takes the most time so... :P
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)