Does comp size matter?

A place for beginners to start

Does comp size matter?

Postby AeonSatori on 08/21/2015, 2:20 am

Hello,

I am about 3 weeks into starting to learn After Effects from numerous video tutorials (especially the excellent ones here) and noticed a trend among all presenters is to create compositions with very low resolutions. I understand that this is mostly for a smooth video capture of the tutorial presentation, but it got me thinking; is it possible to create a composition in After Effects at a small SD size (like 720x480), work until the skeleton is laid out, then up-res the composition to full HD (1920x1280 or 2k/4k) and tweak from there? I'm mainly interested in creating motion graphics from scratch with particle systems and 3d camera movements, so I would think a small comp size would help with sketching and faster renders but would hate to waste a lot of time if I cannot upscale it to a better resolution later.

Thanks!
AeonSatori

System Specs: Hackintosh OS X 10.9
3930K i7 6-Core @ 4.2GHz, 32GB RAM, XFX HD-6870 Radeon 2GB

Re: Does comp size matter?

Postby gregalan on 08/21/2015, 5:06 pm

Hi AeonSatori, welcome. Some things scale well and some things don't, so the answer is that it's better to work in your final output size - however you can work in lower resolution for speed in any composition size. At the bottom of your scene view window there is a drop-down box ("Full") which can change the viewing resolution. In your layers there is a quality setting box (a diagonal dotted line is the symbol) which allows you to set only that layer's resolution lower. In your Ram preview options preview panel there is also a resolution setting and skip frames setting. You can also create proxy versions of some things at lower resolutions to speed things along.
gregalan

Postby AeonSatori on 08/21/2015, 9:20 pm

Thanks for the help and quick response Gregalan! I didn't realize there was a layer quality option, I'll definitely give that a try. I'll also need to research more on proxy versions. Is that the same as creating a pre-comp of large resource elements and rendering the pre-comp to disk?
AeonSatori

System Specs: Hackintosh OS X 10.9
3930K i7 6-Core @ 4.2GHz, 32GB RAM, XFX HD-6870 Radeon 2GB

Postby Farmfield on 08/22/2015, 1:27 pm

For maximum quality, comp at 50% over your final output, so 1080p for delivering 720p, 1440p for delivering 1080p, and your final result will be much sharper.
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby gregalan on 08/22/2015, 6:21 pm

AeonSatori wrote:Is that the same as creating a pre-comp of large resource elements and rendering the pre-comp to disk?

Sort of. Basically you can replace things with a low res video versions and the program knows that it is a version of the original. Then, in your final render settings, you can tell it to use the full res version for your final output.

Todd Kapriva explains it better:
https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/ ... er-effects
gregalan

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)