Smoke Effects

A place for beginners to start

Smoke Effects

Postby Losianose on 07/4/2015, 10:13 am

Would anyone be able to give me any tutorials or resources to create the smoke effects and use them in a manner similar to how this video does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsEzrLp1hQ?
Losianose

System Specs: i7 2700K stock speed
GTX 770 2GB
8gb RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate

Re: Smoke Effects

Postby JPT7505 on 07/7/2015, 9:35 pm

look under trapcode particular or simply look for stock footage like action essentials from VC and edit to suite your needs.
JPT7505

Postby Farmfield on 07/8/2015, 2:17 am

You can get very far using stock footage assets and/or doing really simple smokesim's in something like Blander or Houdini Indie. :)
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby plae57 on 07/8/2015, 4:13 am

Losianose wrote:Would anyone be able to give me any tutorials or resources to create the smoke effects and use them in a manner similar to how this video does...

Like the post before me yo basically have three options. Stock footage, a particle system, or a 3d application that has a smoke simulation. Which you choose will be dependent on how you are using the smoke. For example I recently did a bunch of muzzle flashes for a film. I used a combination of stock footage from Action Essentials for the smoke left behind after the gun shot, and I used Particular to make the residual smoke from the pistol as it moved.

There are several places to get free stock footage, but my experience is that free stock footage of smoke usually sucks. Blender is a great option, but a hefty learning curve, if you want to quickly create smoke, and there are plenty of tutorials out there. And particular comes with several smoke presets that give you a good starting point for smoke.

Adding the smoke to your footage is pretty simple an there are plenty of "muzzle flash" tutorials on youtube that will demonstrate the process. And even if you are not doing a muzzle flash, the process of adding the smoke is the same. Regardless of which way you go remember you need to design your smoke, many times this requires combining and masking several smoke elements together to get something realistic.

Good luck!
plae57

Postby Losianose on 07/9/2015, 12:20 pm

Thank you all for the information.
If I wanted to have someone emerge from the smoke, yet not be visible before the smoke effect is done (like the wizard in the video); how would I go about that?
Also, if you mentioned blender then I should be able to make smoke in cinema 4D and import it right?
Losianose

GTX 770 2GB
8gb RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 07/9/2015, 1:01 pm

Losianose wrote: If I wanted to have someone emerge from the smoke, yet not be visible before the smoke effect is done (like the wizard in the video); how would I go about that?

Like this?
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby Losianose on 07/10/2015, 12:41 am

I would say that's it. Thank you for your help!
Losianose

GTX 770 2GB
8gb RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)