Using Optical flares with C4d lights in After Effects.

A place for beginners to start

Using Optical flares with C4d lights in After Effects.

Postby Champy on 05/24/2015, 1:52 am

I've done this before (over a year ago), but for some reason I can't get it to work now. In the past I used CS6 with the ".AEP" file from Cinema 4d, now I'm using CC with R16, and C4D is giving me an ".AEC" file (don't know if that makes a difference). When I add optical flares to the scene and choose track lights, there is no response. I've also tried importing the entire C4D file with cineware, then adding flares, but that's not working either. My C4d lights are all named "light" and that's what the flares are set to look for in AE. I'm probably missing something simple, but any help you can give is appreciated. Thanks.

edit: This took so long to get through moderation (three days :) ), that I figured it out on my own by trial and error. In case anyone has a similar issue in the future, the step I was missing was extracting the 3d scene data. After you import the C4D file and add it to your composition, go to "Effect Controls" and under the cineware effect look for "commands". Click the "extract button" next to "Cinema 4D Scene data", and all your C4D lights will immediately populate separate layers which optical flares will find by their name. Dunno if this edit will take another three days to become visible, so thanks in advance if anyone offers help in the meantime, not realizing this has been resolved.
Champy

System Specs: Win 8.1, Intel i7, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GPU

Re: Using Optical flares with C4d lights in After Effects.

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 06/8/2015, 11:04 am

Glad you figured it out!
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)