Element 3D & Autodesk Alias Design (OBJ issue)

A place for beginners to start

Element 3D & Autodesk Alias Design (OBJ issue)

Postby beez on 01/3/2013, 2:09 am

Hey all, I'm currently attempting to get a firmer grip of Element 3D to animate CAD models exported as OBJ from Autodesk Alias Design 2012. But I'm having some problems with files (OBJ) exported/saved from Autodesk Alias Design. The first problem is OBJs from Alias Design only import as single solid objects, leaving me with no room to play around with the different textures, etc. The second problem is with textured models being viewed with the environment option on. The lighting is off, I even imported the iPhone file provided along with the "Use Element 3D to animate an iPhone 5 screen" tutorial. Everything seems to be in place so I was wondering what I might be missing? Do I need to light the model in MaX first save and then import?
beez

Re: Element 3D & Autodesk Alias Design (OBJ issue)

Postby LordEdington on 01/3/2013, 1:09 pm

Try turning on 'auto normals' for the lighting issue, might help. Not sure about your other problem though. Could be something to do with the way your exporting the model and its materials.
LordEdington

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Stencil_Media

Postby beez on 01/8/2013, 5:51 pm

LordEdington wrote:Try turning on 'auto normals' for the lighting issue, might help. Not sure about your other problem though. Could be something to do with the way your exporting the model and its materials.

Did that not much change, I think the issue sin't with the program rather the downloadable file provided. After carefully observation I realize the material is different from the one used in the tutorial video. The download copy doesn't include the finer details like logo, etc.
beez

Postby klaus brandenburg on 01/9/2013, 11:06 am

what exactly do you mean by "lighting is off"? if your model turns out pitch black in the scene setup you either have to auto normal or invert normals there. regarding your texture problem use the search function in the element forum. this topic has been answered extensively multiple times there and in the help section.
too many clowns - not enough circuses
klaus brandenburg

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)