file size 260gb

A place for beginners to start

file size 260gb

Postby dsbehan on 12/17/2012, 3:05 am

Dear All,
I am new to the VCO forums. I have recently hit a snag in rendering my first project with after effects. The editor gave me the file in apple pro res format (40 mins long) however when I render it out in after effects as a lossless (animation) file it is over 260gb in size and impossible to work with as a result. I need the best quality as possible as the video was shot in low light and there are already issues with pixelation. The jpeg format just isn't cutting it. I would love to retien the animation codec and compress it later, but my computer just isnt handling the pressure. Any help or direction would be great. Much thanks in advance.
regards,
DB
dsbehan

Re: file size 260gb

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 12/17/2012, 2:02 pm

This page talks about why you're getting larger files from After Effects.

The short answer is this: uncompressed video is huge.

The ticket is finding a good intermediate codec that is lossless (or close to it) and at a smaller file size. One good option is the DNxHD codec from Avid. However, I think you should look into using the Cineform codec (free from GoPro these days). In my experience the file sizes have been smaller, but there is less quality loss. (In either case, there is very little loss in quality. You would have to use difference matte testing to even tell.)
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby dsbehan on 12/18/2012, 6:11 am

Hi Micheal,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will take a look at the cineform codec. I really need to get the file size down though. Thanks again.

Darren
dsbehan

Postby jsn951 on 01/2/2013, 9:33 pm

So is this one single clip that is 40 min long? :?
Challenge yourself, be Creative!
http://joosefxdigital.blogspot.com/
jsn951

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)