Question about null objects.

A place for beginners to start

Question about null objects.

Postby rof42 on 11/15/2012, 8:35 pm

Ok, I am trying to do some typography for a song and I am trying to use a camera tied to a null object to do the different positions and transitions etc. However, lets say I have two text layers for two different lines in the song and each line has individual text layers for each word in the line that pop up as the song lyrics progress, now when I try to change positions on one word in layer 1 layer 2 moves as well. Is there any way to do the positions and transitions without moving the whole project when I try to move one layer? Any and all help is greatly appreciated
rof42

Re: Question about null objects.

Postby chrisfig on 11/16/2012, 10:38 am

You should be able to move those individually without any issues, the null won't be affecting their movement unless they're parented to it as well. If you're having a problem only selecting one of the layers you can turn the other one off and on or lock it at the left of the timeline.

Does that help, or am I not understanding your problem?
chrisfig

Postby rof42 on 11/16/2012, 4:47 pm

chrisfig,
What I have is a bunch of text layers, each layer is basically a word that goes along with a song. But then I have grouped the words by line and precomposed, so I didn't have a million layers. I then added a camera, and null object, then parented the camera to the null object. I then try to do what I have now found to be "kinetic typography" LOL I am a true beginner so its nothing nor will it be anything like most of the stuff you will see out there at the moment. But anyway back to my explanation. I then try to change the positions and stuff to "animate" it with the song. So once I move the position in on the first word and set the key frame etc and move on to the next word or line all is good for that layer. So then I go on to the next layer (another group of words) and it is in the same position that I finished the first layer in. so I move on down the line of layers with the slider to check the rest of the layers and they are all in the same position. Does this make it any better to understand?

Sorry for the confusion.
rof42

Postby gregalan on 11/18/2012, 3:22 pm

Hi rof42. It's still hard to understand what you mean but are all the text precomps 3D layers? And if so have you positioned them away from each other?
gregalan

Postby rof42 on 11/18/2012, 8:28 pm

gregalan,
All the text layers are 3D yes. And what do you mean exactly by positioned them away from each other? I will answer that as no seems as though I do not know exactly what you mean. I have a layer that has 4 words on it. This is the first line in a song. I then have 7 words on the second layer, this is the second line of the song. I have it set that each word will appear when the words are said in the song. What I am wanting to do is add some detail to the project so that it isn't just words popping up on the screen. I am wanting to do something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY. Not exactly like this of course but how sections of the words move but are not taken out of the frame etc. When I try to "zoom" in to a word as it pops up, that works find until I get to the "second" layer. When I get through the first 4 words, I move on to the next layer of 7 words and these 7 words are all the way "zoomed" in where I left the last word of the 1st layer. Thank you for your patience!
rof42

Postby klaus brandenburg on 11/19/2012, 12:14 am

could you post your project or a video of the undesired effect and a screenshot that shows how you setup the layers, camera and null?
too many clowns - not enough circuses
klaus brandenburg

Postby SThompsonRAMM on 11/19/2012, 2:47 am

Have you tried doing this project using the Sure Target plugin?
SThompsonRAMM

Postby gregalan on 11/19/2012, 3:53 pm

Hi. I suspect it's something simple to fix and as Klause suggests a picture or video might make it clearer for us. However, by your description it sounds like all the layers are on the same z plane so that when you zoom in on one, the next one is the same size? Try putting your 7 word layer's Position Z to 2000 and see if that starts to fix it (this will move it away from the camera so that you can see more of it).
Have a look at this (old tutorial) and see if it helps:
http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/tutorials/07.3d/
gregalan

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)