Video Copilot on Television!!!

Discuss serious business and industry topics

Re: Video Copilot on Australian television!!!

Postby zStudio on 08/6/2008, 5:19 am

Noddy wrote:using the VCP products is fine mate, that is what they're there for. I bought some of them for that very purpose. What we're discussing is the use of tutorial rip-offs as ads - not professional at all.

yeh. sure if it where some small videos on youtube for a try but cmon. brodcasting it on tv... i seriously hope that the tv company didnt know that it was taken from a tutorial.
Z-Studio
- Break The Limit
zStudio

Postby Dirty Sanchez on 08/6/2008, 6:09 am

You know I have to say ... "So what" if the studio used a free tutorial to produce an image, effect or animation for a promo or spot. Seems like good business sense to me. You have to remember, the client probably got a good looking piece, the studio probably didn't have to pay a lot out of pocket to produce it and finally, if it is so easy to use after effects and make an animation based on an on-line tutorial, why didn't the client just do it themselves? What the client should be mad at is that they are incapable of doing the animation themselves.

Who cares where the animator learned how to do a specific job or achieve a look, as long as it was done good?

My ONLY issue would be that the effect would be completely identical to the tutorial - the animator should add a little of his/her own distinctiveness to the animation. I mean, what is the point of Andrews tutorials if we shouldn't employ at least some of what we learn here?
Confucius Say ... "Man who go to bed with stiff problem, wake up with solution on hand".
Dirty Sanchez

Re: I Smell Videocopilot, Do You?

Postby eurojax on 08/6/2008, 6:14 am

My local TV station did a google earth zoom out of it's station. Looked eerily like Andrew's tutorial.
The Periodic Review of NASIOC The internet's first and last web show based on a forum.
eurojax

Postby Leigh on 08/6/2008, 6:18 am

Dirty Sanchez wrote:You know I have to say ... "So what" if the studio used a free tutorial to produce an image, effect or animation for a promo or spot. Seems like good business sense to me. You have to remember, the client probably got a good looking piece, the studio probably didn't have to pay a lot out of pocket to produce it and finally, if it is so easy to use after effects and make an animation based on an on-line tutorial, why didn't the client just do it themselves? What the client should be mad at is that they are incapable of doing the animation themselves.

Who cares where the animator learned how to do a specific job or achieve a look, as long as it was done good?

My ONLY issue would be that the effect would be completely identical to the tutorial - the animator should add a little of his/her own distinctiveness to the animation. I mean, what is the point of Andrews tutorials if we shouldn't employ at least some of what we learn here?

Your last paragraph is a contradiction of your 1st paragraph :?

Dirty Sanchez wrote:"you have to remember, the client probably got a good looking piece, the studio probably didn't have to pay a lot out of pocket to produce it and finally, if it is so easy to use after effects and make an animation based on an on-line tutorial, why didn't the client just do it themselves? What the client should be mad at is that they are incapable of doing the animation themselves."

You really have no clue how the advertising industry works mate... with that attitude, I would never have you as an employee at my studio... If the client did it themselves, then they'd be in the advertising business!
AKA Noddy

Help VC help you... http://www.videocopilot.net/products/
Leigh

Postby G Man on 08/6/2008, 6:20 am

I have seen Evolution Flourishes on a lot of commercials that are out in my area (Maryland)...

It's pretty cool to see it being used everywhere....but at the same time, I want to be the only one :cry:
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: OneandOnlyGMan

A great man once said "Aspire to Create. Create to Inspire."
I think his name starts with "A" and ends in "ndrew Kramer"...
G Man

Postby Moca_MX on 08/6/2008, 6:50 am

Videocopilot is on Bosnian and Serbian TV also, i see it every day XD

It's like they download Project file of some tutorial and change text and publish that XD.
Moca_MX

Postby Dirty Sanchez on 08/6/2008, 6:56 am

Noddy wrote
You really have no clue how the advertising industry works mate... with that attitude, I would never have you as an employee at my studio... If the client did it themselves, then they'd be in the advertising business!

1st. Don't tell me I don't have a clue - I've been in advertising for more than 11 years, and my attitude is none of your business. Having a different idea about something does not mean not having a clue - maybe you should get one.
2nd. I don't remember throwing any disparaging comments at you for your opinion.
3rd. I can say that I would be happy to NEVER work for you.

Cheers MATE :lol:
Confucius Say ... "Man who go to bed with stiff problem, wake up with solution on hand".
Dirty Sanchez

Postby SE7ENFX on 08/6/2008, 6:59 am

I remember I was watching the final of the UEFA Champions League and Riot Gear was used so much in the promos for both teams... I see it all the time in programs now! (In the UK)
SE7ENFX

Postby De Huzz on 08/6/2008, 10:48 am

If You Offer Your Hand They Take The Whole Arm! thats a say we use in the middle east it shows how generous some people can be and how selfish others would be too! i am mentioning specifically those high budget tv stations and productions that do copy. Thats selfish, and at the end of the way it only embarrasses them as there will be us on the look out laughing at them! LOL!

Andrew is surely making a turning point in the world of VFX as many are gettin into it because of him, so the side effect of that would only be the pathetic copycat crap thats happening! as ofcourse Andrew continues to show his creativity and originality..

It doesnt matter at the end cuz as far as i know what i feel now that i can be someone more successful with more confidence of my future carrier.. that made and WILL make my life, and i'd like to take this chance to thank Andrew for shaping others lifes this way, as well!
even if we grow up bloody 100 years we'll still remember the name Andrew Kramer/video copilot!

i'm being a bit dramatic.. i just watched 300! nah serious thu!
De Huzz

Postby Motionworks on 08/6/2008, 1:43 pm

Seeing a lot of VCP "inspired" work out there is only natural since this site is enormously popular. Andrew teaches great techniques, he doesn't teach you to be original in your work, that's up to the individual user. In my opinion using an exact copy of a tutorial is no different to using something like a Digital Juice background. Everything has it's place, it's up to the individual to judge when and how to use it, and live with their own conscience.

JD
John Dickinson
Broadcast Designer / Adobe Ambassador / Red Giant & Zaxwerks Demo Artist
Motionworks
Motionworks

Postby bwoogie on 08/6/2008, 1:53 pm

I saw the raindrops and the earthzoom. The earthzoom looked really bad because it faded into another earth....
The reset button was my idea.
bwoogie
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/bwoogie

Postby Mufti on 08/6/2008, 2:03 pm

If this guy obviously used the Earth Zoom tutorial from VCP, we can't really say that Andrew invented the effect of the technique for that matter.
This video is not the worst sample you'll find of a "rip off" of Andrew's tutorials. Have you seen that "Chévere" showreel posted here? 80% of the sequences in the reel come straight from a tutorial Andrew did. And this guy looks he's selling himself as a motion graphic artist.

But anyway that leaves also room for real talented and creative people.
Last edited by Mufti on 08/6/2008, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mufti

Re: Video Copilot on Television!!!

Postby Andrew Kramer on 08/6/2008, 3:41 pm

I didn't make any promotional content for the show Fringe... sorry.
Andrew Kramer
VC Awesome Guy
VC Awesome Guy

Postby bagio007 on 08/6/2008, 3:59 pm

i see a lot of advertising on the street posters ( the big ones )

i'll take a picture tomorow and post it here, but the #58 Fancy title plate is used in the exact same matter ( ok, the developer is enough artisticly mounted he changed the background to pink ; ) )

it is sad, that is realy, when you look a bit, stealing other people work, if it's free, doesn't mean is yours... andrew tries to enlighten the world of VFX to others ( doing a great job, keep it up ! ), but there will allways be individuals, greedy bastards ...
Knowledge is what is left after teaching is done.
bagio007

Postby Andrew Kramer on 08/6/2008, 4:06 pm

Just to be clear, I don't mind if people use the stuff from this site. Make more money!
Andrew Kramer
VC Awesome Guy
VC Awesome Guy

Postby Artflame Noir on 08/6/2008, 4:32 pm

Moca_MX wrote:Videocopilot is on Bosnian and Serbian TV also, i see it every day XD

It's like they download Project file of some tutorial and change text and publish that XD.

true to the point of being sad... in bosnia they even have a show where generic was totally ripped of from an actual commercial that is used in one of the tutorials for digital fusion... and I remember some stuff from VC there where only letters where changed...
Artflame Noir

Postby galvanisedoil on 08/6/2008, 4:44 pm

Video Copilot is an awesome site and it has some awesome products that are really useful. Andrew and the team have done such a good job.
I think the issue is not so much in using the VCP products but just using them in the same way as Andrew has in his tutorials. Surely that cannot be classified as your own work.
I spose it also comes down to how you approach your work. If your cool putting someone elses work up on TV thats cool . . . Personally I strive to use the VCP products and the techniques Andrew has taught us all in my own, creative and original way (strive be the opperative word there :D )
galvanisedoil

Postby Justin on 08/6/2008, 4:47 pm

There's a huge difference between copying and being inspired. And that guy completely ripped Andrew's projects.

I say Andrew should not give his AE projects. Because if a person really wants to learn (and recreate an effect), he'll follow the tutorial and create the overall scene in his own way.

By giving his projects, people just tend to use the project itself to save some time. Acting lazy.

But in the end, if Andrew doesn't care, I guess that none of this really matters. Like europa said, it's simply irritating.

Mufti wrote:But anyway that leaves also room for real talented and creative people.

You got that right.

Justin Productions
Adobe After Effects CS3
Justin

Postby Computer Pro on 08/6/2008, 7:00 pm

I see Andrews stuff all over the net, and most of the time, he is not even mentioned.
Use Google, it will usually give you the answers you need, given you use the right search parameters.
Computer Pro

Postby GaryTube on 08/6/2008, 8:24 pm

FloVC wrote:Videocopilot is on Austrian and German televison as well. Pro7 uses the riot gear stuff before and after commercials, and Giga uses evolution, riot gear and even designer sound FX. ;)

You can watch the Trailer here:
Link http://www.prosieben.de/spielfilm_serie/moonlight/videoplayer/53342/
GaryTube

Postby Trojan on 08/7/2008, 12:27 am

The unfortunate thing here is that with products like Evolution, once you've seen it - you've seen it.

So basically, anyone who uses Evolution now in their clips is gonna be called a copycat right?

It's a bit like the old days (which some of you probably don't remember) when Photoshop and the like first came out, and EVERY flyer/brochure/mailer had bevelled text with a drop shadow - :roll:

I guess the thing to do now is tweak products such as Evolution to the point where it isn't blatantly apparent that you're using the basic settings,etc.

;)
Trojan

Postby Leigh on 08/7/2008, 12:38 am

Trojan wrote:So basically, anyone who uses Evolution now in their clips is gonna be called a copycat right?

NO! Using VCP products is great, the issue is using the tutorials as your own art. Does that make sense?
AKA Noddy

Help VC help you... http://www.videocopilot.net/products/
Leigh

Postby galvanisedoil on 08/7/2008, 12:56 am

It's a fine line to walk. Definitely not good to just blantenly rip the tutorials but I think that products thing is a little bit of a grey area.
They are designed so that they can be used in commercial products and thats good, they're awesome at doing that. However if you do use them in your work there is probably going to be someone that is going to say "oh they got that from VCP" or something. I think it's trying to find the balance. Taken the awesome products and using them in original and interesting ways.
Hopefully you'll then get comments like "oh that's from VCP, but I've never seen that before. That's awesome!!!"
Or something like that
galvanisedoil

Postby 3CardMonte on 08/7/2008, 4:47 am

In the video in the OP, there was something inspired by a ToolFarm Expression Series DVD.
The part with the numbers and the crowd and the tracking device.

The only part I have a problem with here is with the earth zoom. IF he had used his own images I wouldn't have a problem.
Dennis Duty Jr.
Editing/Motion Graphics
http://www.changestoyesterday.com
3CardMonte

Postby Dan on 08/7/2008, 7:25 am

Just noticed somthing in the tutorial FAQ

Some images are copyrighted and cannot be used commercially such as the images from the earth zoom tutorial.

Does this mean that all those companies that litterally drap 'n dropped Andrew's tutorial project files for earth zoom into their clients projects (for cash may I add) are now, in what can only be described as "deep do-do"?

I am assuming that anyone trawling around the net looking for free works of art will not bother to read the legal T&C.

Dan
AKA Triphazard
If you ever need help with anything having to do with Macs, don't ask me... Hi, i'm Dan, and i'm a PC
Dan
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Industry