Video Copilot on Television!!!

Discuss serious business and industry topics

I Smell Videocopilot, Do You?

Postby Polsiola on 08/3/2008, 8:33 pm

I was watching a commercial for Jeremy Camp's New Album and I could swear something looked familiar. Share your sightings of Videocopilot Inspired Commercials, etc...

Below is the Sighting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI3cez3guV4

Cheers,
Paul
Polsiola

Re: I Smell Videocopilot, Do You?

Postby Jack on 08/3/2008, 10:18 pm

Haha oh wow! I could easily see the raindrops tutorial. The earth zoom tutorial is duplicated almost EXACTLY - except they didn't do as good of a job (they forgot the clouds and everything!). They probably used the planet tutorial too. That's really funny, nice find.
Jack

Postby Dan on 08/4/2008, 1:13 am

Disclaimer wrote:Content Usage:
These tutorials and project files may be used in your work and commercial projects

I don't think VCP meant copy/paste projects. Some personal touches should have been done or slight tweaks. Just shows you that some people are completely lazy. Wonder if the other parts of the reel are ripped straight from other peoples work.

VCP should have been credited somewhere in the reel.
AKA Triphazard
If you ever need help with anything having to do with Macs, don't ask me... Hi, i'm Dan, and i'm a PC
Dan
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby europa on 08/4/2008, 2:40 am

This is an old story - I've seen many rips, too. Still, Andrew stated that he doesn't care about people ripping his tutorials or copying them into something profitable. It's still irritating, tho.
Alessandro De Micheli / Video Editor / VFX / Motion Graphics / I/T and security
obiettiva produzioni - Rome, Italy / http://www.obiettiva.it
Not dead yet.
europa
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby Nikita on 08/5/2008, 12:18 am

I think Andrew is too nice! Free tuts and great inspiration right there. No need for ripping unless you are truly uncreative in which case you should go kill yourself :roll:
Nikita

Postby MrSpecial on 08/5/2008, 2:22 am

This is completely true, in Rotana TV (the leader in music production in the arabic world) it's obvious that they are using Evolution for their Ads.
MrSpecial

Postby Dan on 08/5/2008, 3:21 am

Evolution is in every other Ad in the UK, especially if its an Ad or exert related to music tv or radio.

kudos to VCP being so damn popular. There is obviously a large silent fan base as well as the devoted ones seen here.
AKA Triphazard
If you ever need help with anything having to do with Macs, don't ask me... Hi, i'm Dan, and i'm a PC
Dan
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby Psycho-Designs on 08/5/2008, 7:35 am

I agree with the topic.. except the Evolution is sold to be used in commercial products.. its not really like ripping tutorials..
Portfolio: Psycho-Designs.com
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/PsychoDesigns
Vimeo Channel: www.vimeo.com/psychodesigns
Psycho-Designs

Postby Ben Wotton on 08/5/2008, 4:42 pm

The week following the rain drops tutorial, Channel 9 in Australia (one of the main ones) started using rain drops on their promos!! :lol:
Ben Wotton - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5171540/
Ben Wotton
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby ericjhinson on 08/5/2008, 6:40 pm

yea, i think the AE artist who put this together did it justifiably. it's obvious he knew what he was doing. It's very professional and he really didn't rip off VCP that bad, aside from the earth zoom. the rain drops anybody could do. I mean, it's obvious he's been to videocopilot.net but i don't think it's worth being upset over. Especially when there's over a million exact rips of tutorials on youtube and such. Just my opinion.
ericjhinson

VideoCoPilot on Dutch Television!

Postby _BT_ on 08/6/2008, 2:00 am

Hi,

I was watching TV yesterday and saw a commercial for the Dutch version of 'Popstars' (the station is called 'SBS6'). I have been a fan of this site for a couple of months now and I immediately recognized that the background of the promo was EXACTLY the same as the background in the 3D Offset tutorial (including color, light, fractal noise and the rings). I thought it was pretty neat. :D

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to find the video on the web. I will post it when I eventually find it.

VCP ftw!
_BT_

Re: VideoCoPilot on Dutch Television!

Postby Spike on 08/6/2008, 2:25 am

Hahahaha wow thats awesome :D

I saw Andrew Kramers Riot Gear Texture (like his tutorial) in the Promo of the new show FRINGE
Spike

Postby Motionworks on 08/6/2008, 2:38 am

Personally I feel it's a shame to see something taken directly from a tutorial and not at least try to modify it even slightly. Hope that doesn't appear on someone's showreel.

JD
John Dickinson
Broadcast Designer / Adobe Ambassador / Red Giant & Zaxwerks Demo Artist
Motionworks
Motionworks

Postby musictomotion on 08/6/2008, 2:50 am

Free Plug-in Development
Posted at 4:15 pm on July 27th, 2008
Some of you may have noticed a new plug-in called “QuickMatte” while watching the Energy tutorial a couple months ago. Now that it we are nearly finished, I can talk about it. Basically this plug-in allows you to refine mattes and transparency with some unique settings and results. This tool is a great asset for working with our design elements like Evolution and Riot Gear but it will also save you time with your own projects too.

Other Exciting News:

T-shirts winners have been contacted and will be announced soon. (I know it’s taking forever! but we’ve been doing big things around here.)
New site launch is tentatively planned for August 1st 2008. (Yay!)
A brand new online training package will be available soon. It’s also going to be FREE! We’re very excited about this, we think you will be too. Let’s just say it has to do with *BLANK* Tracking… that’s too obvious, let’s call it 3D *BLANK*
Also, I recently had the opportunity to create a TV intro for a new show on FOX. I can’t talk about this one just yet but I’ll let you know more soon. Needless to say, I was pretty jazzed to be part of the project.
More practical expression tutorials coming soon. Be sure to brush up on

LOL in this post he mentioned he was working on a new TV show for "FOX" so perhaps this was the one?
musictomotion

Postby joshfilms on 08/6/2008, 2:55 am

Motionworks wrote:Personally I feel it's a shame to see something taken directly from a tutorial and not at least try to modify it even slightly. Hope that doesn't appear on someone's showreel.

JD

I agree if you are using programs like AE especially for money I would hope you can inject some of your own creativity into a video not just a straight copy of a tutorial. Its one thing to follow along with the tutorial but when it comes time for a commercial project don't just straight copy it. Theirs nothing wrong with basing your ideas on the techniques of the tutorial but use your imagination too.
joshfilms

Postby Hannes on 08/6/2008, 3:25 am

musictomotion wrote:
Free Plug-in Development
Posted at 4:15 pm on July 27th, 2008
Some of you may have noticed a new plug-in called “QuickMatte” while watching the Energy tutorial a couple months ago. Now that it we are nearly finished, I can talk about it. Basically this plug-in allows you to refine mattes and transparency with some unique settings and results. This tool is a great asset for working with our design elements like Evolution and Riot Gear but it will also save you time with your own projects too.

Other Exciting News:

T-shirts winners have been contacted and will be announced soon. (I know it’s taking forever! but we’ve been doing big things around here.)
New site launch is tentatively planned for August 1st 2008. (Yay!)
A brand new online training package will be available soon. It’s also going to be FREE! We’re very excited about this, we think you will be too. Let’s just say it has to do with *BLANK* Tracking… that’s too obvious, let’s call it 3D *BLANK*
Also, I recently had the opportunity to create a TV intro for a new show on FOX. I can’t talk about this one just yet but I’ll let you know more soon. Needless to say, I was pretty jazzed to be part of the project.
More practical expression tutorials coming soon. Be sure to brush up on

LOL in this post he mentioned he was working on a new TV show for "FOX" so perhaps this was the one?

I don't think he would do a tutorial on the exact same thing as he does for a client.
Andrew is well known all over the world in the AE-community, and if you look for it, you can see his stuff allmost everywhere. Most of the times it's not complete rip-offs, but you can still see that they are using his methods and/or stuff from his DVD.
For exampel, you can see loads of commercials using the growing elements from Evolution. Though mostly in simpler commercials for lokal tv-stations and such. Not that the professionals doesn't use it, but (hopefully) they tweak it so you don't recognize it.

edit:
I'm actually using those growing elements myself for a commercial. Though this is one of those cheaper commercial, for the web even. And the money isn't great, so I wont spend very much time tweaking it this time. :p
I'm a swedish freelancing after effects animator/visual effects artist.
http://www.stalofilm.se
Hannes

Video Copilot on Television!!!

Postby jamesel on 08/6/2008, 3:55 am

the Australian television station briz31 has also used the video copilot tutorials, they did no. 58. Fancy Title Plate and it was exactly the same as the tutorial, its funny making something on your computer one day, then watching it on tv the next.
Last edited by Fabian on 08/6/2008, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: renamed from Video Copilot on australian television, so that everyone can post in this thread who saw the use of VC products or tutorials on TV and we don't have about 20 topics on that subject.
jamesel

Postby Itsallmade on 08/6/2008, 3:58 am

Dutch SBS6 had also used the "3D Room" voor they show "schokkende gebeurtenissen" (Shokking moments) in the past.
This leaders was also one on one copied as the one like Andrew's..
"everything can be made.."
Itsallmade

Re: Video Copilot on Australian television!!!

Postby Leigh on 08/6/2008, 4:00 am

Let us not forget the blood cell tute that appeared in a HBA ad [I think it was HBA or some other medical insurance rubbish?]

I must say, if I was the client and found out my expensive ad was whipped up from a free tutorial found on the web, I'd be furious. I work in design/advertising, and I know for a fact that any client would be dumping that studio in a heart beat for ripping them off in such a way :oops:
AKA Noddy

Help VC help you... http://www.videocopilot.net/products/
Leigh

Postby jamesel on 08/6/2008, 4:06 am

true, do you live in Brisbane? because briz 31 is really low budget they probably didn't pay much for the add at all.
jamesel

Postby Leigh on 08/6/2008, 4:11 am

Nah I don't come from BrisVegas, I'm in Melbourne [we all know it's the bestest city in OZ ;) ].
The "bloodcell" ad was actually on commercial TV. Now considering the price it costs for ANY TVC for commercial stations; like I said, I wouldn't be that happy with the studio.
AKA Noddy

Leigh

Postby Jason86 on 08/6/2008, 4:33 am

I see a german tv ad for Sexhotline everyday with the 66. 3D Sparks Title.
When i first saw it i thought "woooot Andrew made it again" hehe.
Jason86

Postby FloVC on 08/6/2008, 5:09 am

Videocopilot is on Austrian and German televison as well. Pro7 uses the riot gear stuff before and after commercials, and Giga uses evolution, riot gear and even designer sound FX. ;)
FloVC

Postby _BT_ on 08/6/2008, 5:12 am

Found it!

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=WfDgU4JYd7M

Just got uploaded.

Imho, there are 2 ways to view this:
1. It is a honor for AK that commercial companies use his tutorials for commercial promo's.
2. It's a shame that those people aren't original at all. The way I see it, is that these tutorials are examples what AE can do and give you a push in the right direction. Copying someone's work 1:1 is just unoriginal and shameful (is that a word?), especially when commercial companies do it.

Also, SBS6 is one of the biggest broadcasting stations in the Netherlands, not a regional/local smalltimer.

This is NOT the commercial for FOX (we don't have Fox here :)).
_BT_

Postby Leigh on 08/6/2008, 5:15 am

FloVC wrote:Videocopilot is on Austrian and German televison as well. Pro7 uses the riot gear stuff before and after commercials, and Giga uses evolution, riot gear and even designer sound FX. ;)

using the VCP products is fine mate, that is what they're there for. I bought some of them for that very purpose. What we're discussing is the use of tutorial rip-offs as ads - not professional at all.
AKA Noddy

Leigh

Next

Return to The Industry