Animated explainer without voiceover?

Discuss serious business and industry topics

Animated explainer without voiceover?

Postby croissant on 12/1/2016, 7:27 am

Hello everyone!

I have a question about making animated explainers or videos with voiceovers - do you get the speak before you start animating?

Right now im being a bit confused, I have been working on one animation with a script in foreign language and the agency is asking me to make everything faster and they neither provided me any info of how long they wanted the animation to be nor ordered any voiceovers.
At this point I'm also a bit pissed because I have absolutely no idea how long the voiceover lasts and I literally had to record myself to understand the animation timeline (Have to highlight that it's not my mother tongue at all and I barely speak it). I was also asking how long it would be and got a response that they don't know.

Another thing is that all pre-production ( 1 character illustration and product), rigging (including body and all the fingers), production of animating 2 videos each 1,30 minutes and post production of music plus simple sound effects had to be done in 9 working days.

Honestly I feel like it's just my experience and technique being limited, but then im really curious how other people work and what I should do.
This voiceover thing is putting pressure on me because if I had the voice from the beginning, I would have known exactly how long each step takes e.t.c.

Now my full character animation is done and im sure if I try to make it faster something will go wrong with all of my keyframes.

Should I tell the agency that they should have given me the voiceover? Is 9-10 working days enough for everything meaning 3 minutes of character animation?
croissant

System Specs: 3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 Gt, 1866 MHz:n DDR3 ECC
AMD FirePro D300, 2048 Mt
Macintosh HD

Re: Animated explainer without voiceover?

Postby Dmaroc on 12/1/2016, 1:47 pm

Normally in animation the characters are animated first, then the dialogue is recorded. After that, the animators sync the characters mouths to the VOs and fine tune body movements.
Dmaroc

System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.0.6 (1988)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 32768MB

Postby plae57 on 12/1/2016, 3:26 pm

Dmaroc wrote:Normally in animation the characters are animated first, then the dialogue is recorded. After that, the animators sync the characters mouths to the VOs and fine tune body movements.

Yeah, I am thinking it is the exact opposite. The characters are created (story board), then the audio is recorded, then you animate to the audio. Trying to record audio to an animation is so much harder. The audio is what gives you the timing of the scene. Always(never say always) record the audio first and animate to that.

That's how pixar and Disney to it, and I am guessing they are experts, but you can google it too and see the opinions.

Plagiarized from http://www.studentfilmmakers.com/news/a ... 1670.shtml:

I like to look at animating as first creating a radio script. Bring in your voice talent, and start capturing their dialogue. A lot of creative and spontaneous things can happen during this process that you would have missed out on had you “animated first”. We call them happy accidents. I also call them personality moments.

Once you’ve recorded and edited your voice track, you can begin bringing your characters to life. What you have just done is called pre-syncing. You’ve laid down dialogue that you will now sync your animation to. As for sound effects I recommend a rough track of essential items that may affect the timing of your dialogue like an explosion or a car door slamming shut.
plae57

Postby Gerry Clark on 12/2/2016, 3:52 am

I'd like to back up what plae57 just said. I've never come across a project where the animation is made before the character audio is recorded. There's madness in that method.
Gerry Clark

Postby croissant on 12/2/2016, 6:55 am

plae57 wrote: Trying to record audio to an animation is so much harder. The audio is what gives you the timing of the scene.

Gerry Clark wrote:I'd like to back up what plae57 just said. I've never come across a project where the animation is made before the character audio is recorded. There's madness in that method.

Thank you for your comments guys!

Yeah it's totally madness, in short. Maybe I just need to take full control and pressure my managers back that they aren't really providing me any basis for working. >-|| I guess I've been too nice by not standing my ground and saying straight that I need a voiceover e.t.c

This corporate life is honestly disgusting. At least I feel like I'm covering my managers *sses by exhausting myself working day and night for lower price (!!) so that the agency can look nice in front of the clients. Never ever I saw that they would order a speak after the script has been approved. Always after my animation been DONE :lol:

But anyway, that's another story.
croissant

System Specs: 3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 Gt, 1866 MHz:n DDR3 ECC
AMD FirePro D300, 2048 Mt
Macintosh HD

Postby Dmaroc on 12/2/2016, 10:43 pm

plae57 wrote:Yeah, I am thinking it is the exact opposite. The characters are created (story board), then the audio is recorded, then you animate to the audio. Trying to record audio to an animation is so much harder. The audio is what gives you the timing of the scene. Always(never say always) record the audio first and animate to that.
Dmaroc wrote:Normally in animation the characters are animated first, then the dialogue is recorded. After that, the animators sync the characters mouths to the VOs and fine tune body movements.

Yeah, the characters are roughly animated in Pre-Vis, then audio is recored, then re-animating (fine tuning) the characters, and adding moment into their mouths. Like I said... :)
Dmaroc

System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.0.6 (1988)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 32768MB

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 12/2/2016, 11:23 pm

If it's a 30 second ad slot, you can do animation and then do VO last. But if there is NO timing indicators, it is literally impossible to get the timing down without a VO. I've done character animations and then told the VO artist to figure it out because I wouldn't have time to change anything and he did. It worked. BUT, I knew it was a 30 sec vid, so there were time constraints.
Guitarboy2828

Postby draper3000 on 02/1/2017, 5:15 am

croissant wrote:
This corporate life is honestly disgusting. At least I feel like I'm covering my managers *sses by exhausting myself working day and night for lower price (!!) so that the agency can look nice in front of the clients. Never ever I saw that they would order a speak after the script has been approved. Always after my animation been DONE :lol:

But anyway, that's another story.

Ha... I used to feel 100% like that.... after 8 years I finally quit.. moved to the coast and setup my own aniamtion company... 2 years on and we're still truckin... the mian problem now is that I'm the manager and more often than not the lead animator and have no one to be annoyed with... but I must say I much prefer it when things are my fault...

Still a long way to go, but already on the books with some great brands....
www.stormystudio.com
draper3000

Postby mechakaiju on 02/1/2017, 8:48 am

Ha... I used to feel 100% like that.... after 8 years I finally quit..

So now you just get mad at yourself heh
mechakaiju

Return to The Industry