What can take this to the next level?

Post unfinished videos and tests

What can take this to the next level?

Postby fsgraves on 08/4/2008, 10:37 am

I just finished a video, but I don't know what can take it to the next level...

Watch

I want to add 3d text, but most of the shots are front-view, so i don't think it would make a difference.

Any ideas?
fsgraves

Re: What can take this to the next level?

Postby VFX-Phil on 08/4/2008, 11:00 am

well if you're willing to make the investment, Evolution would be an gggggrrrrrreeeeeaaaaaaaatttttt addition to the vid.
and, are you keyframing the text layers, or the camera.
like when it moves, is it the camera in the scene, or is it the layers moving around?
if it's the camera, you can probably just make some design elements in photoshop and put them here and there, and kind of play around with them, or if it's the text, just pickwhip them to the text.
but yea, if you're wanting to spend more time on this and make it really really nice evolution would look good with it. just time remap the flourishes to match your movements and such.

but, that being said, that's good stuff, it's a great vid. you did really well and it's creative.
Good Job!
(ps what song is that?)
_VFX-Phil
VFX-Phil

Postby Goulgag on 08/4/2008, 11:05 am

We'll the mude this video shows is basically not bad.
It's simple but elegant. But one thing: The particlestuff at the end really screws things up. It just doesn't fit and also does not look good.
Goulgag

Postby KMPfilms on 08/4/2008, 11:07 am

It looked really nice already. I would just do something to amp up the particles. They just seem a little dull. Use like bubbles or something, and have them fade into a new color toward the death.
KMPfilms

Postby fsgraves on 08/4/2008, 11:15 am

Thanks for the tips!

The song is Coldplay - Life in Technicolor (the intro to their newest cd)

The camera is pick-whipped to a null object, just as Mr. Kramer himself taught me :)

As far as evolution, I'm not really keen on the idea of adding flourishes and such to it. I'm not really going for that feel. I wanted a clean, straight-forward feel (hence the use of helvetica and attempts at DOF)

I will work on the particles, I couldn't figure out how to change the color of them over time or with a ramp/gradient from the emitter point.

but thanks for the positive feedback! I feel better about it now :)
fsgraves

Postby europa on 08/4/2008, 11:29 am

Hello fsgraves,

my seven cents:

1: The whole thing is, imho, too slow paced. I understand that it must be this way to fit the music, but still...
2: The font looks super-sexy until the background changes gradient and goes into violet/fucsia. From that moment on, "Slim Black Sexy Font" becomes poorly readable.
3: "Yellow Particles" is a big No-No. You kept your style simple and clean, keep it that way - yellowish particles ruin a lot. You could use some particles extremely sparse on the Z-Axis, greatly defocused and still, making the camera do the movements, as in House MD style.
4: "NU IS GOING" looks cool until it tilts back. I would have kept turning it the same direction.
5: "Green Particles" is definitely a No. Its color doesn't match the scene and suffers from the same atmosphere-breaking issue as #3.
6: The transition to "ARE YOU?" is cool: you should've used that (and similar transitions) style in other occurrences, too.
7: OMG PARTICLES

This composition has potential in it, keep it clean and post an update here, we really want to see it!
Alessandro De Micheli / Video Editor / VFX / Motion Graphics / I/T and security
obiettiva produzioni - Rome, Italy / http://www.obiettiva.it
Not dead yet.
europa
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby fsgraves on 08/4/2008, 11:47 am

I really appreciate it! I'm gonna take a break for a day, then come back and make some tweaks. I'll definitely explore ways to keep it clean and colorful. Thanks europa!
fsgraves

Postby 3CardMonte on 08/4/2008, 5:35 pm

-Make it faster. I can be faster and elegant at the same time. But by the time anything really HAPPENS or we get to the point, or the hook even, the target audience may very well be asleep.

-Change the particles. I agree that bubbles set to and overlay blending mode might look more elegant than "Look, I have a particle plugin, so I'm using it"

(Not trying to be rude, but this is how I'd want to hear advice. Better WE criticize you than the people you want to see this / the people you're doing it for.)

I like the BG colors, and the slight 3d beveling of the text near the end. What I would do to pump this up to the next level is incorporate more design elements. If flourishes aren't your thing, you'd be surprised what a few simple circles or floating shapes can do to improve your look.
Dennis Duty Jr.
Editing/Motion Graphics
http://www.changestoyesterday.com
3CardMonte

Postby wadespencer99 on 08/4/2008, 5:42 pm

I agree with Europa and 3card.

Have you thought about some sort of motion in the background layer? Maybe even one of the stock backgrounds in AE with the colors muted down and then made quite blurry?

And yeah...speed it up.

One other thing...is this only for the web? If not, I think that some of your words are going to be outside the safe zones when shown on a television.
www.cagerattle.com
wadespencer99

Postby nooneimportant on 08/4/2008, 5:44 pm

I don't know much about color theory and all that, but some of the colors just didn't seem to mix well. If I were doing it I'd probably use something like Kuler to get a nice palette to work with.

I thought it was all very sleek, and sharp looking, and I really liked the simplicity of it all.
nooneimportant

Postby xtian on 08/4/2008, 5:52 pm

Yah I liked it quite a bit. The music was excellent.

I do agree about the particles. The last particle shot was cool with all the different colors but when they're on their own i wasnt buying it either. I think they just need to be adjusted, its not a bad idea.
~Xtian
xtian

Postby abarrett on 08/4/2008, 6:30 pm

Turn off Auto Bezier on the Null object controlling the camera and use Linear, it will help clean up the motion.

The timings change thru out, I would stick to even timings say, 2sec for animation in & out and 4sec hold. Which would give you 2 bars of the music per title set. (The sound sound like normal 4/4).

Might want to thicken up the text and add a ramp effect to it to give it some texture.

With the background I would look at giving it some texture, quick way is make a text layer type a "Y" or simular, added a kaleidoscope effect, alter the setting to make it look like a texture and then change the transfer settings.

Also some grain on a adjustment layer. Plus if you stay with the thin text add "reduce interlace flicker" effect to the adjustment layer and probly go ".5" in the amount setting. This will help stop the text from flickering when it is played on a normal television.

Other than that, its out of the box thinking! Congrats :D
abarrett

Postby Trojan on 08/5/2008, 12:56 am

Like most of the above said, this was a good video (and get rid of the yellow and brightly colored particles).

And of course Evolution would really help.

Good job tho'

cheers
Trojan

Postby floodjlc on 08/13/2008, 10:00 pm

I liked it except for the particles. They ruined it for me. I would do something else besides those particles.
floodjlc

Postby planBMultimedia on 08/14/2008, 3:57 pm

Ditto what has been said...
1) pacing, timing
2) loose the particle stuff, it is soooo AE6... :D

Also, from the typography, I like the Helvetica light type, but you might adjust the kerning a bit. It looks too much "wordprocessor" and not enough "typesetter"
I would reduce the kerning a bit, making the text fit tighter.
planBMultimedia

Postby Tikster on 08/14/2008, 5:59 pm

Hey! i really loved it.

Pros: Great music, writing, and animation. It all worked.

Cons: The Titles lasted too long, they can possibly be shortened, and The particles where too cheesy, the colors and the motion. maby make the inner part of the particles white and have them burst across the whole screen.
Wanna see a magic trick?
Tikster

Postby dataflow on 08/14/2008, 8:17 pm

i would say to improve it.

make some variation in the volume and balance of the audio (so people dont fall asleep) its not bad music but its more of a bedtime music (something you listen to to go to sleep :) )
dataflow

Return to Work in Progress