Grungy Harry Potter music video

Post unfinished videos and tests

Grungy Harry Potter music video

Postby MBelinkie on 07/11/2017, 11:39 am

I'm doing a Harry Potter rap video. I decided to use a spinning Hogwarts model in Element 3D as a foreground element, an audio visualizer behind that, the Harry Potter images behind that, and then a general screen saver type thing in the background. Added some pre-rendered distortion elements on top.

Thoughts? I'm not a graphic designer so I'm always self-conscious about creating cool "looks." I was thinking it might be cool to have the beat of the music drive something in the foreground castle animation. Like, maybe the main light source pulses with the beat, or the whole model vibrates. The trick is I do want the focus to be on the words and images so the more stuff I put into the graphics, the more distracting it gets.
MBelinkie

Re: Grungy Harry Potter music video

Postby Duncan on 07/12/2017, 6:35 am

One problem, currently, is that there is so much action going on in the rest of the frame that it makes it nearly impossible to focus on the text.

If you'd like the focus to be on the words, I'd suggest making them more prominent.

As a possibility:

• Have the words fly in from off screen (or some other way of animating on)

• Add a wiggle expression to position and roatation

• Have them fly out again (or some other way of animating off)

Also, add more contrast to the opening shot. Other than that, it's looking good.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 8.29.38 AM.png
Duncan

Postby MBelinkie on 07/13/2017, 5:32 pm

This is a great suggestion. And I'm really impressed with your mockup - you even matched my font. I've done text animations in the past with everything in neat little rows, but I think you're right that this should be more chaotic, with words at different angles and different sizes. Maybe throw some paint splatter in there. I'll give it a shot and report back here.

Oh, for the opening shot I'm probably going to scrap the turntables entirely and do some variant on the famous Harry Potter dark clouds opening title. Maybe get the lightning pulsing to the beat or something.
MBelinkie

Postby Duncan on 07/14/2017, 6:40 am

Nice, sounds like fun!

Yeah, that was the one thing that kinda stuck out to me, was that the text could be animated.

I actually just used Photoshop to reposition your text, lol.
Duncan

Postby MBelinkie on 07/24/2017, 9:35 pm

Okay, here's the revised version.

It's definitely busy. Not quite sure if it's TOO busy or just busy enough.
MBelinkie

Postby Duncan on 07/28/2017, 10:23 am

Cool stuff.

There's a shot around 1:00 where Tonks' face is covered up by one of the spires, you might want to rotate the building quickly beforehand to accommodate for this, or place her in front.

I still think the text could be animated in in some way, since our eyes are attracted to motion.

Depending on where you want the audience's eyes to go you could play around with scaling either the text or the images with the beat.
Duncan

Return to Work in Progress