Troubleshooting My Workstation Setup

For Windows, Apple, displays, mouse pads etc.

Troubleshooting My Workstation Setup

Postby Lukeman28 on 07/26/2017, 1:58 pm

Hello Everyone!

My name is Luke, I am a video producer for a hospitality company called Guest Services Inc. I am the only video producer for this company and have been bottle-necked by my computer for some time with frequent crashes, lock-ups, slow loading times, and just about everything else and I need to target where this is coming from to increase my productivity. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions this community has in regards to improvements I can make to my system. The specs for my system will be posted at the bottom of this entry. To elaborate on the kind of work I do, I work commonly with 4K 10-bit footage and will often add numerous enhancements through after effects and other programs. I am given a pretty wide leash in the creative decision making process so the sky is the limit for what I do with videos on a case by case basis and I want to have as much wiggle room as possible. Here are my system specs

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Precision Tower 5810

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.5 GHz

Graphics Card: 2 Nvidia Quadro M4000

Hard Drive: (2TB) ATA ST2000DM001-1ER1 SCSI Disk Device

Ram: 16gb
Lukeman28

System Specs: Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.5 GHz
Graphics Card: (2) Nvidia Quadro M4000
Hard Drive: ATA ST2000DM001-1ER1 SCSI Disk Device

Re: Troubleshooting My Workstation Setup

Postby mooviemakers on 09/5/2017, 4:28 am

Hi Luke

Two things jump out. Firstly 16gb RAM, this is quite low for AE. Its about the most RAM hungry application there is and it will chew up as much as you can throw at it. I'd recommend 32GB as an absolute minimum, ideally 64gb or more if your motherboard can take it.

Secondly you need to be using an SSD, or a multiple SSD setup. I think this is where you're getting a lot of your slowdown and bottlenecks. At the very least use an external SSD for your cache/scratch disk. This will greatly improve the speed in which AE can access your media files and create previews. The ideal scenario would be having 3 drives. 1 SSD to put your operating system, applications, and current work on, a second SSD to use as disk cache.scratch disk, and your third drive can be a larger capacity hard drive for archived work and other files that take up a lot of room.

One tip, don't use your primary SSD for disk cache, its really inefficient and will also reduce the life span of the drive.

Pretty sure if you address those issues your bottlenecks will be dramatically reduced. Hope that helps.
mooviemakers

Twitter: htttp://twitter.com/mooviemakers1

Re: Troubleshooting My Workstation Setup

Postby Lukeman28 on 10/13/2017, 7:02 am

I just realized this reply never posted last month, but thank you so much for your advice. It was very helpful in my troubleshooting!
Lukeman28

System Specs: Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.5 GHz
Graphics Card: (2) Nvidia Quadro M4000
Hard Drive: ATA ST2000DM001-1ER1 SCSI Disk Device

Return to Computer Hardware & Technology