New Workstation. Nvidia p6000 dont work with After effects

For Windows, Apple, displays, mouse pads etc.

New Workstation. Nvidia p6000 dont work with After effects

Postby rumerico on 06/28/2017, 5:12 am

Hi

I just got a new workstation at work from Dell. Its a 7910 with all the bells. Got dual cpu, lots of ram, 6tb in raid 0 + +
But most of all Im excited about the 2 x Nvidia p6000. Well, I was until I found that After Effects dont use tha cards at all.

I have got the latest drivers and all looks good.
In benchmarking its using 98% and kicks ass. Also it seems to be working somewhat in Premiere.
Include a link to dropbox folder with some screen shots

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mfw3h2a4at9sgs1/AAAOlLg_pkCTMtXp0A4Ejpvka?dl=0

Hope anyone can give some advice!

R.
Senior UX designer, film, animator & motion graphic artist.
rumerico

Twitter: runewold
System Specs: WORKSTATION:
Dell Precision Tower 7910
2 x Intel Xeon prosessor E5-2698 v3 (16 C, 2,3 GHz, 40 M, 135 W)
2 x NVIDIA® Quadro® P6000 24 GB
Ram 512 GB (8 x 64 GB) 2400 MHz DDR4 LRDIMM ECC
MegaRAID SAS 2Gb/s PCIe SATA/SAS HW RAID controller (1GB cache)
1 x 1TB Adata DP900 SSD 2.5 inch SATA 6Gb/s, 1M Hrs MTBF {CS].
5 x 1TB Adata DP900 SSD 2.5 inch SATA 6Gb/s, 1M Hrs MTBF {CS]
Heatsink for dual CPU T7910
1Gbit NIC add-in card (PCIe- Intel)
2 x Asus 34" LED G-Sync Rog Swift PG348Q Curved
1 x Eizo 32" LED 4K ColorEdge CG318-BK

LAPTOP:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
2,6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 450 2048 MB

OTHER
Palette Professional Kit

Re: New Workstation. Nvidia p6000 dont work with After effects

Postby mooviemakers on 06/29/2017, 11:57 am

That's a beastly spec of a machine! The down side is that After Effects is very poorly set up to take advantage of graphics cards. It's a throwback to the fact that a lot of the original code that makes up After Effects is about 20 years old so predates the rise of powerful GPU's. They are trying to update the software to better take advantage of GPU's, but so far it's been limited to a handful of effects that get GPU accelleration, rather than any overall performance boost. In a few more iterations of After Effects things might change, but as of now After Effects remains heavily reliant on CPU for performance, and annoyingly it isn't even multi-threaded that well either, so can't really take advantage of beastly multi-core machines.

The upside is you'll still be getting killer performance, better than most people on here. Element 3D uses GPU so you'll be laughing with that. Premiere Pro uses CUDA rendering too so that will take advantage of your cards. Fingers crossed AE will get up to speed in future and get proper multi-threading and GPU support. It's the feature most people have been asking for for years now and it's not really happened yet. I think Adobe are well aware of the issue and AE's shortcomings performance wise, but I guess it's not a straightforward job having to recode an entire application!
mooviemakers

Twitter: htttp://twitter.com/mooviemakers1

Postby rumerico on 06/29/2017, 12:21 pm

Hi
Thank you so much for your deep insight into how AE work.
What still somewhat shocks me is that the Graphic cards is not moving at all.

I have been doing testing on plugins like Trapcode suite, Element (here I understand it might not be GPU support), comps with lights, cameras and 3d objects and a series of others.
What might be scarier is that I have made a setup on the PC, then opened the same file on the Mac Powerbook and actually it's not only keeping up its sometimes if not by much faster then the PC. Even tried it on my old MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) and also there it's keeping up.

I understand what you say that there is lacking support. Should there not be any movement in the card what so ever?

I thank you again for your amazing in depth answer!! Someone like you should really make a video that shows this and get the facts out there. If enough see that what Adobe (and Nvidia) is promising is not "real" maybe it will push the development faster. Many might know much more than me but I think there is a lot of people out there who would get the same shock I got from total lack of GPU usage.
Senior UX designer, film, animator & motion graphic artist.
rumerico

Twitter: runewold
System Specs: WORKSTATION:
Dell Precision Tower 7910
2 x Intel Xeon prosessor E5-2698 v3 (16 C, 2,3 GHz, 40 M, 135 W)
2 x NVIDIA® Quadro® P6000 24 GB
Ram 512 GB (8 x 64 GB) 2400 MHz DDR4 LRDIMM ECC
MegaRAID SAS 2Gb/s PCIe SATA/SAS HW RAID controller (1GB cache)
1 x 1TB Adata DP900 SSD 2.5 inch SATA 6Gb/s, 1M Hrs MTBF {CS].
5 x 1TB Adata DP900 SSD 2.5 inch SATA 6Gb/s, 1M Hrs MTBF {CS]
Heatsink for dual CPU T7910
1Gbit NIC add-in card (PCIe- Intel)
2 x Asus 34" LED G-Sync Rog Swift PG348Q Curved
1 x Eizo 32" LED 4K ColorEdge CG318-BK

LAPTOP:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
2,6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 450 2048 MB

OTHER
Palette Professional Kit

Postby mooviemakers on 06/29/2017, 12:56 pm

As AE is still heavily dependant on the single core CPU clock speed what you might find is that what appears to be a slower CPU actually outperforms a 'better' one, just purely down to a slightly higher CPU frequency. More cores/threads doesn't equal more performance in AE.

It seems absurd that in 2017 AE doesn't have proper multi threading or GPU support. For the a lot of people the GPU is the biggest, most expensive, most powerful part of their machine and it's basically ignored by AE. You might as well just run the integrated graphics on your CPU for all it cares. If you look at other software that has full GPU support the performance gains have been incredible. Look at using Octane inside of C4D, it's increased the speed of the software by 10x easily, maybe more. Plus the general trend in CPU's is towards more cores (Ryzen, Threadripper, i9 etc.) so Adobe need to up their game on the multi threading front too or people will start looking elsewhere.

Just to answer your question, you can see a list of the GPU accelerated effects on the Adobe site here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/after-effect ... s-new.html

But its literally just a handful. If you're using these effects you'll see a big performance boost. For anything else, the software literally won't touch the GPU at all. As mentioned Element will run buttery smooth, as this is GPU dependant, but what you're got is probably overkill for Element anyway. I think it says on here that something like a GTX 1070 is more than enough to run Element without any performance issues.

Fingers crossed things will change and GPU/multithread support and performance will increase. But they've been saying this since around 2014-2015 and its been slow progress so far.
mooviemakers

Twitter: htttp://twitter.com/mooviemakers1

Return to Computer Hardware & Technology