E3D best choise! GTX or Quadro

For Windows, Apple, displays, mouse pads etc.

E3D best choise! GTX or Quadro

Postby fohjin on 06/16/2017, 1:09 am

Hi There,

I'm thingking about replacing my Graphicscard.
Right now i'm ussing a GTX 980 Ti (6GB)

If i'm to upgrade my card what would be the best choise concidering i'd like to boost up E3D's perfomance.
Would a 1080 GTX card suit better or are there Quadro cards either new or refurbish that (despite the extra cost) performe better with E3D projects?
Budget can go up to +/- €2500,-

Looking forward to hear your opinions
Thanks in advance
fohjin

System Specs: OS: Microsoft Windows 10
CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz
RAM: 128MB
GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GTX 980 Ti
GPU RAM: 6GB

Re: E3D best choise! GTX or Quadro

Postby Farmfield on 06/16/2017, 2:23 am

GTX1080ti for sure - Quadros aren't faster at all accept in very high poly OpenGL viewport performance in a couple of apps, other than that you can compare them purely on the GPU generation, number of CUDA cores and VRAM amount.

The question is, how much difference there will be between a GTX980ti and a GTX1080ti to motivate the investment. I suspect you'd have to do pretty complicated Element 3D setups to notice a huge difference, though I might be wrong...
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 06/16/2017, 7:35 am

Farmfield wrote:GTX1080ti for sure - Quadros aren't faster at all accept in very high poly OpenGL viewport performance in a couple of apps, other than that you can compare them purely on the GPU generation, number of CUDA cores and VRAM amount.

The question is, how much difference there will be between a GTX980ti and a GTX1080ti to motivate the investment. I suspect you'd have to do pretty complicated Element 3D setups to notice a huge difference, though I might be wrong...

Definitely this ^^!! What kinds of E3d scenes are you rendering? 980ti should be coping great!
Guitarboy2828

Postby fohjin on 06/16/2017, 8:12 am

Hey Farmfield & Guitarboy2828, Thanx for the reaction!

GTX it is then.

Mostly i work with mutiple 3D objects in one scene combined with AE bakcgrounds, but i've also rendered complete 3D settings in E3D, in full HD and 4K. The 980 Ti is performing pretty good no doubt about that, though as i sometimes like to push things to the limit render/preview times keep increasing. So i was just wondering how much improvement an graphicscard update could give me.

11GB on a new 1080 Ti sound like an impresive improvement instead of 6GB on a 980 Ti.

Is it posible to give a rough estimate on how much more boost would a 1080 Ti give?
If it's near 15 to 20% it would be worth it already, as i use E3D almost on a daily basis?

SLI doesn't work with E3D right?

Regards
fohjin

Postby Farmfield on 06/16/2017, 8:37 am

SLI is a gaming only thing and though you could probably implement it in Element itself, it's After Effects that does the time stepping during the render itself, so no way to work it through the AE API. :P

And it's just impossible to say how much of a difference it would make overall, I would borrow a card to test with - doesn't even matter if it's a 1080ti or 1080, if a 1080 is substantially faster, so will a 1080Ti be... But buying a 1080Ti thinking it will "probably" be faster, that's a really bad move, imo, because a new mainboard and CPU might make way bigger difference that a new GPU. Faster i/o, splitting system, source and caching disks onto separate SSD's can also make a HUGE difference for some stuff. The GPU performance is often overestimated in regard to performance for this stuff - it usually doesn't have near as big of an impact as people think...

So yeah, you need to dig into this a bit deeper, imo, because you wanna put your money in the right place, so to speak...
Farmfield

Postby Farmfield on 06/16/2017, 8:59 am

WOW - just realized something - you're on an Intel C600 board, socket 2011 (non-3), with that you're kinda screwed.

There's just no way to get full performance out of a 1080Ti on that board, you'll lose 25-30% straight off, just from the older chipset/PCIe specs, something in there - I know because I had huge issues with this on my dual Xeon 2670v2 box and I digged into it deep, had talks with the BIOS guy's at Asus in Czech Rep. etc... And it's in the hardware, there's just nothing you can do about it. And it doesn't make any difference in CUDA/OpenCL, but it hampers DirectX/Direct3D and OpenGL pretty badly...

So I would say buying a 1080Ti is a really bad move here. In my case I replaced the mainboard/CPU's with a Ryzen 7 setup and got way better performance in everything but when maxing out all cores, rendering. Way better single core performance as well as way better GPU performance for DX/Direct3D, OpenGL...
Farmfield

Postby fohjin on 06/16/2017, 11:53 am

Hey Farmfield,

Right now i'm working on a HP z820 workstation
All SSD raid setup with sepereate cache and data disks which worked well en stable for me. so far so good i'd say.
Then again my tech knowledge is just to little to understand we're and when hardware fails to deliver the rigth boost.

Most important for me is to take maximum advantage of After Effects and E3D.
But when reading your post i should be better of rebuilding a new single processor system right!
No server bassed Xeon setup (which will cut a lot off budget :)
fohjin

Postby Farmfield on 06/16/2017, 12:27 pm

LOL - VCP forums just refused to let me post what I posted in the next post until I posted something in between. Weirdest bug ever. :D
Last edited by Farmfield on 06/16/2017, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farmfield

Postby Farmfield on 06/16/2017, 12:33 pm

No, this is only about the older Intel C600 chipset - say you buy/build a 2011-3 system with dual CPU's, you'll have as good a GPU performance as everyone else with a GTX1080Ti... I personally choose to Switch from dual Xeon's to the the Ryzen 7 because there's a lot of bang for the buck - Intel i7-6900 performance with CPU, mainboard and RAM for less money than the i7-6900 CPU - and Houdini specifically suffer like crazy from bad single threaded performance, which you have with the Xeon's...

That being said, though, I think it's been pretty well established by now that Adobe CC is really bad at multithreading so you really have no benefit of high core count machine like these dual Xeon setups, so if Adobe CC is your primary usage, buying a new dual CPU box is likely not the best investment, better choose a high end single CPU build and put the money into good i/o, GPU's and good cooling.
Farmfield

Postby fohjin on 06/19/2017, 1:05 am

Thanks for the explanation.
Though i knew CC lacks in multithreading i was a bit naive to think this isseu would besolved and propperly implemented by now.
Instead of upgrading the system i have right now i just as wel might sell it and build a new single core system.

Thank for the tips.
fohjin

Postby Farmfield on 06/19/2017, 1:23 am

It doesn't really lack multi-threading, it's just not very efficiently threaded, especially in regard to scaling on high end hardware, like running dual CPU's, etc - though they have made strides towards making it better with each version. :)
Farmfield

Return to Computer Hardware & Technology