iMac for After Effects and E3D

For Windows, Apple, displays, mouse pads etc.

iMac for After Effects and E3D

Postby snakenator on 06/8/2017, 8:58 pm

So it's been a rough few weeks... my 2014 iMac has been my go to for video production stuff, After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, Element 3D, basically whatever. But I'm going to college and leaving it at home so I bought a 2015 MacBook Pro with upped memory, processor, the works. Then after about a weeks use I finally realized why my previous projects now looked like crap on this should-be great computer: it used an intel GPU and as y'all probably are well aware of, E3D doesn't work with Intel. So I returned it and went to the Apple Store to get everything figured out. I talked to a guy there who seemed pretty knowledgeable about the computers but not necessarily the programs I wanted to use. Off the requirements I described he suggested that I go with a desktop (much to my dismay since I would prefer to be able to move the computer around to class). He suggested this:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac ... ep=config#

I am trying to stay under $2500 but obviously less would be nice. Is this a viable option? I would assume upgrading to i7 is pretty much a must and bumping memory to 16gb would be ideal as well? Would this produce a good machine? I'm not looking for AMAZING, but something I can use without any issues is kind of a must. Also, does anyone have any experience with the fusion drive compared to normal hard drive?

Thank you,
Dawson
snakenator

System Specs: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB, version 10.12.5

Re: iMac for After Effects and E3D

Postby mooviemakers on 06/13/2017, 5:33 am

Sounds obvious but couldn't you just look for a 2015 Macbook Pro with the AMD graphics upgrade? Sure you could find one second hand on Ebay for under your budget. Sounds like if you're moving around a lot a laptop would be your best practical solution over a desktop, even though it wouldn't be as powerful
mooviemakers

Twitter: htttp://twitter.com/mooviemakers1

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 06/13/2017, 6:01 am

Hmm, it doesn't look like that graphics card is supported by E3d? I may be missing it though.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kqQ ... 85dDag/pub

Honestly, if I was you, I'd drop mac for video/3d stuff. You will just constantly be stifled. If I was in your shoes, I'd buy one of these: https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade

I am writing this on my macbook, I love them... For everything BUT professional video use. I have a PC workstation that I do all my video/3d stuff on. Mac just isn't on that level anymore.
Guitarboy2828

Postby Farmfield on 06/13/2017, 12:43 pm

^ this, and twice on Sundays. I had 20 years on Mac when I dropped them in 2009 - already then it was clear they weren't reliable (as in with info, updates, upcoming hardware, etc) for pro users...
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 06/13/2017, 1:19 pm

I agree too. Until Mac starts producing proper professional gear again, go PC. More power for less money.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Return to Computer Hardware & Technology