WWAU? (What Would Andrew Use)

For Windows, Apple, displays, mouse pads etc.

WWAU? (What Would Andrew Use)

Postby krakensurf on 08/30/2017, 2:28 pm

Seriously!

I spent a gob of money last year on a build that absolutely sucks!

Dual Xeon e5-2868 (18 core)
1TB SSD
2TB RAID 0
64 GB Ram
4x Gtx-980ti
2000w power supply
liquid cooled.
ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS Motherboard

Thought it would be the end of all my problems and ready to kick butt.
NOOOoooooOOOO...this thing sucks. First off, the card aren't being utilized by most of the software. There some sort of bottle neck somewhere. It certainly doesn't feel like I'm working with 36-cores. Even when I analyze processor usage it NEVER is maxed out, but runs like its in tar. Other than the fact that I can run a bunch of programs without crashing, it just doesn't seem to be all "that".

I have one simple question...WHAT DOES ANDREW USE? I'm sure he's not wasting time fiddling around with an inferior system so I just want what he's using so I can stop with all this crazy guesswork.

Thanks
JS
krakensurf

System Specs: win7 64B
AE CC
3x gtx690

Re: WWAU? (What Would Andrew Use)

Postby JPT7505 on 08/30/2017, 3:26 pm

You have yet to actually state goals and obstacles for the pc and software you're using, so what do you want out of this thread?
JPT7505

Postby krakensurf on 08/30/2017, 6:15 pm

Thanks for responding. Not sure about your rhetoric. Did you read my post? I thought it was pretty obvious.

Goal: To find out what system Andrew is using.
Obstacles: Poor performance from parts with hyped up product description that are incompatible with AE (this is a forum about AE software, right).
I want from this thread is the "known" system specs of Andrew Kramer's workstation. Pretty simple question. Doesn't need a cross-examination or analysis.

As I said, Andrew is not going to monkey around with a system that is not up to par with his rate of production. Assuming he has all the resources to get the best system on the market, what would/does Andrew use?

If you don't know, don't try to make me look stupid by twisting my post into an interrogation. I not in the mood to deal with that nonsense. I just want an honest and friendly answer.

Thanks (and play nice). :[p
krakensurf

System Specs: win7 64B
AE CC
3x gtx690

Postby JPT7505 on 08/30/2017, 8:40 pm

Andrew like many people most likely has different needs than you or me, so what Andrew needs, you and I need are all different. So your post of poor performance doesn't specify what is poor. So again I ask what do you want? These forums are also about 3d software too, which Andrew uses along with other software, so no, this is not just an ae forum.

What are you using ae for?

Are you rendering or producing with 3d software?

What renderers are used if any?

Why did you choose the configuration you have now? Etc.

Just getting someone else's specs, doesn't mean it will work for you or anyone else.
JPT7505

Postby mooviemakers on 08/31/2017, 12:25 pm

Hi

If you're using this for AE then your problem is the Xeon's. They have a slow clock speed and AE can't utilise multiple cores, at least not efficiently. I answered a thread a few months ago with a similar issue, I'll just link it here rather than go over it again:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=128539

Same reason is why you aren't seeing great performance from your graphics cards, AE isn't using them apart from for a few isolated GPU accelerated effects.

I don't know what Andrew uses, sorry. I'd guess something based around an i7 6950x, or another enthusiast grade i7/i9. Remember at present, clock speed is king for AE. Xeon's are only really a good option for a very small number of applications, ones that are very heavily multi-threaded, video editing and AE work aren't one of them I'm afraid.

On the bright side, if you do 3d rendering then you have a killer PC :-)
mooviemakers

Twitter: htttp://twitter.com/mooviemakers1

Postby Dorin on 09/3/2017, 10:04 am

We do not know what computer Andrew uses. At one time he appears to be using HP Z800 workstations. For the Into Darkness end titles I think he mentioned somewhere that he used Nvidia Tesla GPU.

Your computer it is absolutely fantastic for 3D rendering in Octane, Cycles, Redshift, C4D or other CPU - GPU intensive renderings. But not that great for AE.

https://s26.postimg.org/g60c6mtft/system.png
I'm Sorry for my English...
Dorin

Postby WilmonBlack on 09/13/2017, 1:30 pm

krakensurf wrote:Thanks for responding. Not sure about your rhetoric. Did you read my post? I thought it was pretty obvious.

Goal: To find out what system Andrew is using.
Obstacles: Poor performance from parts with hyped up product description that are incompatible with AE (this is a forum about AE software, right).
I want from this thread is the "known" system specs of Andrew Kramer's workstation. Pretty simple question. Doesn't need a cross-examination or analysis.

As I said, Andrew is not going to monkey around with a system that is not up to par with his rate of production. Assuming he has all the resources to get the best system on the market, what would/does Andrew use?

If you don't know, don't try to make me look stupid by twisting my post into an interrogation. I not in the mood to deal with that nonsense. I just want an honest and friendly answer.

Thanks (and play nice). :[p

Wow! You're really rude!
WilmonBlack

System Specs: Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
250G Flash Storage
12G DDR3 RAM
AMD FirePro D500 3GB

Sager Laptop (Custom Build)
Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache)
1TB Non-Flash Storage
24GB DDR3 RAM
AMD® Radeon™ HD 8970M 4.0GB

Return to Computer Hardware & Technology