PROAIM dslr rigs any good?

HD Video Cameras, microphones, greenscreens etc.

PROAIM dslr rigs any good?

Postby hyperliteBo on 01/11/2013, 6:34 am

Hi all,

I'm about to buy a DSLR rig for my canon T3i.
There is this brand "Proaim" which won't bankrupt me like the other more expensive alternatives.
I've done some reading about it and some people say it is very cheap, crap build quality like even bending rods and that their follow focus doesn't work properly.
Others then say that it actually is very good value for money and it is a very nice alternative for the more expensive rigs (like Zacuto).
Do any of you guys have any experience with the brand, do you recommend it or not?
I'm always very careful with my gear but I don't want utter garbage either...
hyperliteBo

Re: PROAIM dslr rigs any good?

Postby zombie-walker on 01/16/2013, 7:22 am

Howdy,

I do own a Proaim rig, my buddy and I both own this one.

http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/PROAIM-Sh ... t-10C.html

I am pleased with it but the matte box is a little on the cheap side, it has the smallest attachment piece to the connection bars and he broke it when he was moving his rig out of his car one day. The site replaced it free of charge but he wasn't happy with the fact the matte box broke in the first place. Other then that no complaints, follow focus works well. Nice variety of ring sizes for lenses. It's worth the money, I have used a spider rig. I didn't like it because of all the small pieces to the rig, (each part has it's own movable ball).

I will agree on not wanting to buy crap. Rigs aren't cheap, I would recommend proaim.
zombie-walker

Twitter: https://twitter.com/michaelmalko

Postby hyperliteBo on 01/16/2013, 4:58 pm

zombie-walker wrote:Howdy,

I do own a Proaim rig, my buddy and I both own this one.

http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/PROAIM-Sh ... t-10C.html

I am pleased with it but the matte box is a little on the cheap side, it has the smallest attachment piece to the connection bars and he broke it when he was moving his rig out of his car one day. The site replaced it free of charge but he wasn't happy with the fact the matte box broke in the first place. Other then that no complaints, follow focus works well. Nice variety of ring sizes for lenses. It's worth the money, I have used a spider rig. I didn't like it because of all the small pieces to the rig, (each part has it's own movable ball).

I will agree on not wanting to buy crap. Rigs aren't cheap, I would recommend proaim.

Hey, thanks a lot for your reply !

Great feedback, so you bought it from the proaim website itself then?
It looks like they have good customer service, did you had to sent the broken mattebox to them or not?
And after how many months/years did the mattebox break?
Some people say that the rods are easily bend, what's your opinion on that?

Thanks a lot man :)
hyperliteBo

Postby hyperliteBo on 01/16/2013, 5:00 pm

Also, do you know if you can buy just separate rods from proaim ?
hyperliteBo

Postby zombie-walker on 01/16/2013, 5:19 pm

I did buy it from the proaim website directly. It has a one year warranty or something close to that on it. It sadly broke within 4 months of him having it. It was kind of a mess really, he had it wedged between some other gear in his car and when he went to pull it out the matte box got caught on his camera bag and snapped. The solution he said is to remove the matte box from the rig when in transport.... whoa, sorry off track. Um no, he didn't have to send it in he explained it to them and I believe attached some photos to show it broke, they replaced it no questions asked.

I haven't experienced any issues with my rods bending, nor would I see a problem in the future as long as you take moderate care of your rig. I am not sure if you can by separate rods from the store, (I wouldn't see why not)

It does look really cool when you show up to a shoot with a pro rig, and the quality is much better then a home made rig. Watch out for the duty costs though, I had costumes open my package completely. Lame...
zombie-walker

Postby hyperliteBo on 01/16/2013, 6:02 pm

zombie-walker wrote:I did buy it from the proaim website directly. It has a one year warranty or something close to that on it. It sadly broke within 4 months of him having it. It was kind of a mess really, he had it wedged between some other gear in his car and when he went to pull it out the matte box got caught on his camera bag and snapped. The solution he said is to remove the matte box from the rig when in transport.... whoa, sorry off track. Um no, he didn't have to send it in he explained it to them and I believe attached some photos to show it broke, they replaced it no questions asked.

I haven't experienced any issues with my rods bending, nor would I see a problem in the future as long as you take moderate care of your rig. I am not sure if you can by separate rods from the store, (I wouldn't see why not)

It does look really cool when you show up to a shoot with a pro rig, and the quality is much better then a home made rig. Watch out for the duty costs though, I had costumes open my package completely. Lame...

Lame indeed !
Where did it had to be shipped to? Europe? US?
hyperliteBo

Postby zombie-walker on 01/16/2013, 6:36 pm

Canada, :)
As an FYI proaim ships out of India.
zombie-walker

Postby liambauckham on 02/25/2013, 11:33 am

me and a friend own this
http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/PROAIM-Sh ... pport.html
hard as nails and well built.
liambauckham

Twitter: www.twitter.com/liambauckham

Postby Chassy on 09/17/2014, 11:06 pm

Hi,

I found this while searching for well build shoulder rig and follow focus. Proaim rig seems solid. What you think about this rig
ProaimDSLR rig120
Follow focus X2

Can anyone suggest me?

Thanks
Chassy

Return to Production Gear