What Camera should I go with

HD Video Cameras, microphones, greenscreens etc.

What Camera should I go with

Postby Socom on 09/19/2016, 2:38 pm

Hello to all that may read this post

I am looking at getting myself a Camera for some of my freelance work. I already shoot professionally, at a day job, and I use the Canon C100 and C300 . Both are awesome cameras but for myself and the wide variety of topics I shoot I am looking at either the Sony FS5 or the Canon C500 (which at the time of this posting is about the same price as a Sony FS5). My shoots can range from Concerts to interviews, tutorials, product demos, weddings and so on. I am a grading freak so I want some thing with tons of bit depth. Right now I'm leaning towards the Canon C500 because I use canons everyday. Plus the color coming out of Canon is great! However the C500 setup looks a little scary especially for weddings. I need to be pretty portable and not having a hand grip is little bit cumber sum to me. I need to know if anyone has used the C500 and if you can break it down to a small form factor with say a shogun and still get great recordings out of it. My main concern is using it for weddings where I need to be changing setups fast. All the other things I do I can pretty much have everything I need all setup and ready to rock.
Socom

System Specs: Nvidia Titan
32gb of Ram

Re: What Camera should I go with

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 09/20/2016, 1:21 am

Using a C500 for weddings is complete overkill! Haha, but would be pretty epic.

I love Canon's "look," and if that's what you want, you need that. I LOVE Sony camera's and what they've done in the last few years, they really have changed the game and if it was me, I'd go Sony, just offers so much more.

Something else to check out is the Black Magic Ursa Mini. They are GREAT cameras with so much dynamic range and a lot cheaper than you'd be paying for the C500 4k.
Guitarboy2828

Postby Socom on 09/20/2016, 4:53 am

Thanks for the reply!

I was nervous about posting wanting to use a C500 for a wedding shoot lol! I figured I would get flamed for way overkill. However I will be using it for way more then just weddings since I work at a studio during the day and yesterday we interviewed Avenged Sevenfold. So for more high-end content I want some thing I can use for freelance and actual work, work. I 100% agree though Sony has been killing it and I have used both the FS7 and ASII on several shoots and their log is incredible! Not to mention that variable ND is super hot too. I was worried though with some thing like an FS7 being to heavy for when I do need to do run and gun shooting. Which is why I liked the FS5. We just got a C300 Mark ii and honestly I would buy that over anything else mentioned if it wasn't still way over priced for what it is.

I haven't worked with any of the Black Magic stuff I have heard it produces great quality stuff and some of the video I have watched looks really sweet! Some of my coworkers have said their durability isn't so great though.
Socom

System Specs: Nvidia Titan
32gb of Ram

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 09/20/2016, 9:09 am

I have hired the Phantom Flex 4k a few times for shoots and I always joke with my film crew that I'm going to hire it to shoot my kids birthday party one of these days... You should just buy a flex 4k for weddings ;)

Yeah, C300 mk2 is just ridiculous at the moment, its crazy expensive. I LOVE the FS7, it'd be my number 1 camera any day. But, may not work for everyone's needs. I think you'll just have to go with what you're most comfortable with and what you think will get you the best results. Reality is, when you get to these top cameras, they are produce great images, some lack some things and others other things, nature of the beast!
Guitarboy2828

Return to Production Gear