Build up Own green screen

HD Video Cameras, microphones, greenscreens etc.

Build up Own green screen

Postby MichaelKnight1 on 03/24/2016, 3:02 pm

Hello guys, i want build my own green screen from A to Z ! i need it to start making short films at home ! i want make low budget green screen max $150 you know with lighting ect ! for videos no photography ! please tell me what i need to sell or is there any interssing video can help me out! youtube if full of bullshits! thanks
MichaelKnight1

Re: Build up Own green screen

Postby Duncan on 03/25/2016, 7:10 am

Do you want to make a full cyclorama, or do you just want a wall?

If you're going for a cyc, we actually built one at the place I used to work based off this guy's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYuOJligxCk

If I had to do it over again, I might have made the whole thing on a 2x4 wood frame with a floor. The concrete floor we had was very beat up (so we had to patch with plaster, but even then it wasn't 100% perfect). We also built in a basement that would flood so the paint got messed up and we had to re-paint.

For paint, the Benjamin Moore Neon Green 2032-10 is absolutely fantastic: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/pain ... /neongreen
Last edited by Duncan on 03/25/2016, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan

Re: Build up Own green screen

Postby plae57 on 03/25/2016, 7:28 am

Max $150? Google cheep green screens and buy the biggest one you can with stands and green screen clamps to make it tight. Hopefully the lights are not also in that budget. If they are, then go to a home depot kind of store and get the lights.

But having a green screen and lighting it well are only part of the process. It takes a lot of practice to get good keys with professionally lit green screens, even more with when dealing with budget green screens. The cheaper the green screen (and lights camera etc...) the harder it is to get a good key. Do not just think you will press a button with Keylight and poof you have a perfect key. May times you can get better results with a procedural matte than you can with a key. Learn the process of creating a key using other tools like color channels. I can guarantee the knowledge will pay off 100 fold with your ability to create realistic vfx.
plae57

Return to Production Gear