Best Camera for Green Screen work up to 7K?

HD Video Cameras, microphones, greenscreens etc.

Best Camera for Green Screen work up to 7K?

Postby tedsomeone on 10/16/2014, 10:04 pm

Hello,

At my workplace we are looking at several options for cameras to work with. Our work is entirely done with chroma-keying so we need the best possible setup for a green-screen shoot. The camera needs to be under $7K, ideally shoot in ProRes or something similar, have good audio options (We will be attaching a shotgun microphone but the recording monitoring and controls need to be professional), ideally be 4K, and just be very good at being able to pull a key from with good lighting conditions.

I'd also take suggestions as to our studio setup, most things are adaptable. Right now we have a relatively even green screen (pictures coming upon request).

To date we have tested and rejected these cameras because we have not been able to pull good keys from them under various settings and lighting setups:

1. Black Magic Cinema (2.5K) camera.
2. Black Magic Pocket camera (Both RAW and Prores).
3. Canon C100 (I actually got a good key but it's too expensive for it not to deliver 4K).
4. Canon 5DII (The camera we are currently using and hoping to upgrade).

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you,

Ted MIhu
Ted Mihu
try to change the world
http://tedmihu.net/
tedsomeone

Re: Best Camera for Green Screen work up to 7K?

Postby legi008 on 10/26/2014, 3:19 am

At this price, you should look up to the new Blackmagic URSA Camera
legi008

Re: Best Camera for Green Screen work up to 7K?

Postby MarkSpurrell on 11/2/2014, 9:48 am

legi008 wrote:At this price, you should look up to the new Blackmagic URSA Camera

Yep, what legi said. The URSA was just unveiled, and though it would be a terrible run and gun camera, it looks like a fantastic studio camera.

I suspect the liquid cooling will be an issue, however.
MarkSpurrell

Return to Production Gear