Great deal on Canon Rebel T4i

HD Video Cameras, microphones, greenscreens etc.

Great deal on Canon Rebel T4i

Postby newsense on 02/11/2013, 9:54 am

Finally got my first DSLR the Canon T4i and got it for a great price. On sale for $648.99 at bestbuy. It is advertised online only but they honored it in store. I was so excited to finally get my new toy that I thought i'd share it with anyone interested. I would likely still be without it if it wasn't for $250.00 in savings so hopefully this helps someone and the camera is awesome

Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... tid=245790
newsense

Re: Great deal on Canon Rebel T4i

Postby zombie-walker on 02/12/2013, 12:24 am

Sounds great, I'm all for great deals and screwing the system if and when possible... but with something like that they would fix it after you got yours for a lower price.

I would love to hear your in depth thoughts on the camera.
zombie-walker

Twitter: https://twitter.com/michaelmalko

Postby newsense on 02/12/2013, 1:25 am

I am no authority on the subject or anything and this is my first DSLR. I didn't really understand ISO Aperture or shutter speed until I got the camera. I assumed I would choose my resolution and framerate and i'd hit record. I am pretty comfortable with the camera after about a week in video and photo mode and found out the hard way that you need to understand photography to understand DSLR videography. Anyways, it's a great camera. I haven't tried any auto modes just manual and have been pulling manual focus(i learn quick) and was a little disappointed at first with video quality but after a little googling most issues were fixed after changing a few settings in the menu. There is no support for magic lantern yet and a lot of people say canons have more digital noise ratio when using iso's that are multiples of 100 where multiples of 160 are less noisy but since the t4i only let's you change your iso by multiples of 100 I can't test it. The camera is solid and the touch screen is super responsive, never had to press anything twice because there was a hiccup. I need to get some stabilization system because handheld shooting is impossible. I would have paid full price if I didn't get it on sale.
newsense

Postby zombie-walker on 02/12/2013, 11:33 am

I got the Canon T3i, so I do understand where your coming from. I find the best way to get less noise is to aim for the lowest ISO. I barely push 800, and even then It's losing it's edge. I'm interested to hear about the auto focus mode, I was never a fan of auto focus but I heard t4i has an auto focus mode for filming? Welcome to the wonderful world of DSLR, I would suggest getting yourself a nifty 50mm, the 50 F1.8 is only $100, I got the F1.4 the price is worth it if you can drop that kind of coin for it. Or you can get some older lenses with a lens adapter, mine cost only $2 from Ebay.
zombie-walker

Twitter: https://twitter.com/michaelmalko

Postby newsense on 02/12/2013, 1:19 pm

I gave the autofocus a try in video mode with the only lens i have, canon 18-55 IS2 and it was unusable. Maybe with a better lens it might work a little better but I don't really think it would be good enough to use for any project, maybe just for some quick point and shoot situations. I'm glad that feature was not one of my deciding factors when I bought it.
newsense

Postby AshleyAshes on 02/12/2013, 3:57 pm

newsense wrote:you need to understand photography to understand DSLR videography

Well, yes and no. It's that photography and videography as a whole are pretty much the same thing. It's just that a lot of 'Video Cameras' more or less remove a lot of options from the user. DSLR filming gets you closer to what filming on an actual cinema camera would be like. Pick up a Red Epic or an Arri Alexa and you'll find yourself switching prime lenses, using ISO, adjusting the aperture, refering to depth-of-field charts, measureing off subject to enssor distance and everything else you're doing on a DSLR.
AshleyAshes

Return to Production Gear