550D+ML+ZOOM H1...attenuated cable needed?

HD Video Cameras, microphones, greenscreens etc.

550D+ML+ZOOM H1...attenuated cable needed?

Postby lamboflamb on 01/9/2013, 4:08 am

Hello, I just bough a zoom h1 and I would like to use it as a mic directly into the camera from time to time. I was reading a bit and it seem that I need an attenuated cable in order not to damage my camera.
Is this still needed if I use magic lantern where I can set audio levels?
lamboflamb

Re: 550D+ML+ZOOM H1...attenuated cable needed?

Postby zombie-walker on 01/9/2013, 6:23 pm

That sounds like a terrible idea, the DSLR's are not good for audio quality and I would highly recommend using an external audio recorder any day. Yes this does cause problems in editing with sycning up audio. But with a little patience you can do it. Or! look into a program called pluraleyes, (I am not affiliated with this company, I just like the program)
zombie-walker

Twitter: https://twitter.com/michaelmalko

Re: 550D+ML+ZOOM H1...attenuated cable needed?

Postby jax_rox on 01/11/2013, 12:22 am

Wow, these days syncing audio to picture is considered a 'problem'? Seriously, invest in a slate, you can get them from $30 off eBay. Makes syncing super easy, espcially now that cameras like DSLRs have their own in-built guide track.

Sorry to say, the H1 is not a great audio recorder at all, and the mic on it is average at best. You'd perhaps need an attenuated cable to go from the line/headphone out to the mic-in on the 550D; an H1 with an attenuated cable into a DSLR is essentially a recipe for disaster audio, you'd almost be better off simply using the audio from the DSLR itself.
jax_rox

Return to Production Gear